Sign in to follow this  

COMPRESSION LEVEL ON 1977 YZ100?

Anybody out there know what the compression should be on my 1977 YZ100?It fires first kick,the plug reads good,and it isn't spewing any oil,but I would like to know for sure.I could probably kick it over with my hand,but like I said,it would start,and it runs perfectly.....all top end and NOTHING below that!Thanks!

Hey 94cr rider! my compression is at 125 with the bike warmed up and holding the throttle wide open,which is how I understand you're supposed to do it.Where did you get your information that it should be at 140/160? If that is accurate,how low is 125?When should the piston be replaced?Thanks alot!

My bike is a YZ 100 , not a YZ125. Wouldn't there be a difference? Plus,it's a 1977.Where are you getting your specs from?

Hey! I called the Yamaha Motor Corp. and they called me back after 3 days and told me compression on a 1977 YZ100 should be 80-125.Seems kind of low,but that's what they said.Soooooo....now all you multitudes of other 1977 YZ100 owners out there have a reference point.I'm actually still skeptical,but who would know better than the big "Y" ?

Let's see. Everything Yamaha would have would be based on the original 1977 manuals. They are iron sleeved cylinders with a cast piston and manufacturing tolerances were not nearly as close as they are today. So they seriously "underbuilt" the bikes of the day to allow for the potential problems of a slightly out of round cylinder, sloppy crank, loose bearing, lower compression ratio, etc.

Most of those older bikes have a lot less compression than a current model.

And in IMHO a static compression test is about as close to meaningless as just about anything. You can use it to help diagnose topend wear, but you need to have a test with a fresh topend to give you your starting point. Then you can test later to see how much you have lost.