Sign in to follow this  

Problems with 2005 RM-Z 450

Ok this thread is for my buddy. Stick with me here, I can only give you what information he gave me through a Facebook chat.

He said last week he went to fire the bike up and while kicking it he heard something "snap". He stopped and let it alone. This weekend he said he tried again and couldn't get it started. He tried for 5-10 minutes and nothing. I asked him if the kickstarter felt sloppy or loose and he said it felt a little easier to kick down but nothing too noticeable.

I can't get a chance to examine the bike myself until he comes home from school this Friday.

He's going to kill me for saying this but every now and then he can't get it started right away. I've been know to kick it for him sometimes, but I still have confidence that he could have gotten it started if nothing was wrong within 10 minutes.

Any ideas guys? Any known problems with this year with this problem?

Edited by Zach Gilbert

Sounds like the cam chain slipped a tooth or two of the cam shafts and messed up the timing causing them to hit and break/bend the valves. You got to remember to tighten the cam chain after every couple of rides.

Happened to me last year.

When the bike is idling, I always heard a slight rattle from the top/black part of the cylinder. He refuses to hear this, could this be a lose cam chain?

I'll forward him this message.

Any other ideas guys?

its real quick to pull the tank and valve cover to take a look and see whats in place and if something is broken. If the cam chain actually snapped and he kicked the think for 10 mins i would have imagined the chain would have bunched up around the gear or something in the bottom end.

If there is any chance the chain jumped i would pull the VC right away and take a look.

How does he normally start the bike? Push the kick starter down to feel som comp. let it back up, quick turn of the throttle then kick? Is it possible he could have flooded it by twisting the throttle? maybe heard a backfire and now its just flooded like crazy?

its real quick to pull the tank and valve cover to take a look and see whats in place and if something is broken. If the cam chain actually snapped and he kicked the think for 10 mins i would have imagined the chain would have bunched up around the gear or something in the bottom end.

If there is any chance the chain jumped i would pull the VC right away and take a look.

How does he normally start the bike? Push the kick starter down to feel som comp. let it back up, quick turn of the throttle then kick? Is it possible he could have flooded it by twisting the throttle? maybe heard a backfire and now its just flooded like crazy?

He's all over kicking the thing. I'm use to my 2 smoker. Basically one shot, and fired up. I was watching videos a while back on how to start 4 strokes. When he finally got one, I put what I known to use to kind of show him. (doing the whole one click down until the compression is hard, then bring it back up and give it all your might) It always worked for me. He sometimes just tries to kick it to death if my meathod doesn't work.

But either way, you say to pull the tank and cover to make sure everything is ok before I try to start it?