Sign in to follow this  

Need a supermoto for 100% road use, what one?

Ok, so I have a Husqvarna TE 250 at the moment but I don't think it's going to be very reliable as it's a high performance motocross bike. I use the bike 5 times a week and only drive about 5-6 miles a day so there very short trips. I am thining towards Honda as they are meant to be reliable and I think the CRF X model is more for road use but im not 100% sure. I'm looking for a supermoto only thats 250cc but i will also consider 450cc if they are more reliable, so what models are known for their reliability? and how reliable do you think my 2003 te 250 husky will be if i ride it sensibly (no going fast and only occasional hard accelerations), and how often will the valves need checking?

Ok, so I have a Husqvarna TE 250 at the moment but I don't think it's going to be very reliable as it's a high performance motocross bike. I use the bike 5 times a week and only drive about 5-6 miles a day so there very short trips. I am thining towards Honda as they are meant to be reliable and I think the CRF X model is more for road use but im not 100% sure. I'm looking for a supermoto only thats 250cc but i will also consider 450cc if they are more reliable, so what models are known for their reliability? and how reliable do you think my 2003 te 250 husky will be if i ride it sensibly (no going fast and only occasional hard accelerations), and how often will the valves need checking?

i check valves every 10-15 motor hours, very easy to do, have you looked at the drz 400 supermoto?

Yeah DRZ 400 isnt my style really, dont know why but i'm looking towards honda crf x 450 or 250 just wandering how reliable they will be

Is this going to be your transportation bike? Daily commuter? How fast are said roads?

I would think more towards a 400/450 personally; the motor should last you a bit longer considering you don't rev it as high as often. Personal preference ofcourse, I have sections of highway that would need me to go 70mph for 9-11 mile sections, no reason to rev a poor 250 like that all the time.

I'm only going 35-40mph average and I'm looking towards a Crf 450 x(less powerful one with headlights), whats the maintenance like, will i rebuilding the top end a lot and adjusting the valves often?

Look into a husaberg FS model, there are some that are street legal from factory. The only downfall is that dealers aren't as plentiful as honda dealers are. Honda has some inherent valve issues that can end up costing a lot of money....