Sign in to follow this  

30 Minutes of motorway/higway riding - WR250f

All

I have a couple of days riding booked in the Welsh mountains in May and nobody is available to give me a lift with my '09 WR250f over there. Therefore I am going to have to ride on a short stretch of motorway (highway in the US).

I had a thread before which questioned the WR on long road use and what it actually did to the bike and I do not ride on fast roads however, this time it is essential.

Therefore my question is simple; Is approx. 30 minutes of motorway riding (I will stay in the slow lane at approx 50mph) going to mess up my bike?

I'm predicting getting a lot of speculative answers however what would put my mind at rest the most is if a few people said "I've ridden my WR much more than that on the motorway/highway and have never had any problems".

I'm not worried about tires being shredded. It's more the internals I am worried about. Just for info my bike has done 900 miles and I expect it to be up around 1250-1500 by the time May comes around.

Thanks

Roscoe

This will be no problem. I ride dual sports and spend plenty of accumulated time riding "motorways". I've even commuted to work a couple of times. 50 mph (not kpm, right?) is fine. I go up to 60 mph, but the bike is kind of buzzing along (even though it's well within its rpm range). If you put a 14 tooth front sprocket on, it would be easier on the engine, but might be high geared when you get off road. the only reason I don't like the road (commuting anyway) is that your putting life on your engine for a non-value-added activity, and it's boring.

-Toby

The distance will be no problem to the engine.

Did you make any plans in case you break something on your trip?

Chris

I always carry the essential trail tool kit with me. I'm riding with Craig Bounds a UK off road racer so I'm not worried of breakdowns etc once I get there.

I hate road riding too. It's so boring!

Thanks everyone.

Once a year we do a multi-day mountain ride but it involves a long stretch of high-speed pavement to connect the other half of the trails. I just keep things out of the rpm atmosphere and things are good to go.