Sign in to follow this  

Pivot Works Fork Seal and Bushing Kit bad?

ok, we replaced the fork seals and bushings in my brothers 06 YZ450F last weekend. He cheaped out and bought the pivot works kit versus oem. When we were doing the install, we noticed the bushing that goes towards the top of the chromed tube had about a 1/4" gap from closing together. The OEM bushing that was in there had hardly any gap. We scratched our heads for a minute a decided to go ahead with the new bushing based off the thinking that we weren't sure if it mattered, and assumed Pivot Works would have supoplied us the correct parts in the kit. We went out our first ride saturday and all was fine. Loaed bikes up on the trailer and headed out on our 3 hours trip home. When we got home, there was a puddle of oil under both forks, one worse that the other. But both leaking terribly. He did forget to bleed the air out of the forks before loading up, but I have a hard time believing doing this oe time would cause this issue.

So my question is could this problem have been caused but the bushing that we questioned? I wish I had taken a picture of it while we had it apart to show but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

If not the bushing, any ideas what else could have caused this? We inspected the chrome on the tubes while cleaning everythign up and did not find any nicks or scratches. Everything looked fine.

Any ideas would be greatly apprecited.

I can understand one seal leaking from a defect but the probability of both leaking is very very low. Something must be installed incorrectly. The most common mistake is installing the seals backwards. You might want to check this.

I will double check the seals, but I'm pretty sure we put them in correctly.

Does it seem right that the bushing would have that much gap when installed on the tube? It looked odd compared to how the oem bushing fit. And bot bushings were the same, so if they are incorrect, they would be incorrect on both sides. But I also don't know if this would cause in leak after one ride either?

I checked the seal installation. The side of the seal with the round "spring" like deal is facing down (towards the axel). That's correct, isn't it?

I checked the seal installation. The side of the seal with the round "spring" like deal is facing down (towards the axel). That's correct, isn't it?

Wrong way!

Wrong way!

Crap..... so I shouldn't be able to remove the dust seal and see the metal spring that is wrapped around a lip on the oil seal? I new I should have been watching him take it apart a little closer! :smirk:

Yup, noticed the same on my '06. No problemo - they work fine. I'll go OEM next time though.

ShortRider873,

A couple things....

Oil Seal: You say the round spring is facing down, well in the picture at pivots works website it appears the seal lip has a metal spring around it (like the 06 kyb seals). You need to verify which way you installed the seals as it is very possible there is a spring on both sides of the seal. The side that should be facing the axle has small square marks and usually stamped text. This is the side the fork seal driver makes contact with during installation.

Bushing: That fitment sucks, Id call pivot works about that.

IMHO: Use stock oem seals or spend the extra cash on SKFs. Also be sure to check the chrome tubes for sharp nicks and damage.

Thanks for the feed back. The stamped marks/text are facing out as you stated. I emailed Pivot Works yesterday but have not got a response. I am going to wait and see what they have to say. But in my opinion, this kit is not worth the money. Better off to buy OEM.

I have heard good things about the SKF seals, but that they are only available for certain models. Where can I go to find if they make these for these forks?

I wouldnt be bagging Pivot Works yet. The chances of both seals leaking is a clear indicator that something was installed incorrectly. Also, the fact that you are not even sure which way the seals "should be" installed mean you dont have much experience. If you purchase OEM you would not get any tech support and would probably have the exact same problem.