Sign in to follow this  

What do you tow with your Tacoma?

Im thinking of getting a enclosed trailer for racing. I have a 05 Tacoma. I was thinking a 16x8 so I can have enough room for a work bench, bed ect... But thinking it might be a little big for a Tacoma? The rating on the Tacoma is 6500lbs.

Thanks,

Alan

I think that is going to be a bit heavy and big. You can do it but you will definitely feel it. I am looking at 7x12 single axle enclosed. I am looking for light because I will be towing it up to the mountains and I have 33 inch tires on my tacoma as seen here.

1080342742_eSQ9X-XL.jpg

• Like 1

Most 16x8 tandem trailers are going to weigh in at 22-2500 lbs or so (depending upon options you choose) and have a GVWR of 7k or so.

But, gross weight is rarely an issue with dirt bikes in a trailer...our toys take up more space than they weigh.

What probably will be an issue is the wind resistance. Pulling an 8' wide trailer is a big drag. V-noses help cut through the wind, rather than dragging like a brick.

Going down to a 7' wide trailer (if you don't need that extra width) can make a big difference in wind resistance.

Toyota_mdt_tech towed a 16 footer I believe. I towed a 7x14 miles and miles and miles with no issues(other than going slow up some grades), I had the tow packeage which nets you 6500# max tow. I even towed it in the snow several times.

IMG00145-20110108-1049.jpg

072.jpg

I did switch to a bigger truck but not because of towing problems.

Edited by JCMINIS
  • Like 1

Im thinking of getting a enclosed trailer for racing. I have a 05 Tacoma. I was thinking a 16x8 so I can have enough room for a work bench, bed ect... But thinking it might be a little big for a Tacoma? The rating on the Tacoma is 6500lbs.

Thanks,

Alan

16X 8 will tow fine, that will weight in around 2300 lbs. But behind a Tacoma, I'd opt for a 7X16 instead. No mirror extenders and it will tuck in out of the air strem and keep your mileage up a little more than the wider one would.

That 4.0 liter will town that trilaer like its not even there. Do use electric brakes though.

I also switched to a bigger truck, and also not because of towing issues. :smirk:

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

16X 8 will tow fine, that will weight in around 2300 lbs. But behind a Tacoma, I'd opt for a 7X16 instead. No mirror extenders and it will tuck in out of the air strem and keep your mileage up a little more than the wider one would.

That 4.0 liter will town that trilaer like its not even there. Do use electric brakes though.

I also switched to a bigger truck, and also not because of towing issues. :smirk:

I'm not disagreeing, but I do not see how a Taco can pull a 16X8.

My extended cab F150 FX4 5.4L pulls my 6x12 V-nose great, but get any wind, grades, higher speeds or a combination and you can def. feel you're towing.

Maybe it's a Kansas thing- although the roads are very flat, we get quite a bit of wind. But personally I wouldn't pull an enclosed behind a mini truck.

My extended cab F150 FX4 5.4L pulls my 6x12 V-nose great, but get any wind, grades, higher speeds or a combination and you can def. feel you're towing.

Maybe it's a Kansas thing- although the roads are very flat, we get quite a bit of wind. But personally I wouldn't pull an enclosed behind a mini truck.

My 07 V6 tacoma with towing package was rated to tow more weight than my V8 towing package equipped suburban !! I have towed my trailer with both vehicles many times and I prefered to tow it with the tacoma !

Tacoma was rated @ 6500# max tow

Suburban was 6000#

Edited by JCMINIS
  • Like 1

Mini truck? These aren't mini trucks anymore they are more like midsized trucks these days. Maybe you should get a 1 ton diesel to solve your problems, that's the american thing to do. I've towed a similar sized enclosed trailer minus the v-nose with a pilot through mountain roads and highways. The engine had to work some to get up over the mountains or to pass on the highway but it had plenty of power. Isn't Kansas flat anyways? I think if your properly set it up with sway control, brakes, and maybe a weight distributing hitch you really shouldn't have too many problems. We mounted one of the sway control bars for use on our pop up and its amazing how much a difference it makes. This came after my dad drove a friends suburban and hybrid ultralite camper and couldn't believe that their larger camper was easier to drive on the highway than our pop up. Have you seen what they tow campers and trailers across the pond with?

Edited by 79yamdt
  • Like 1

I said a 16X7 would be better, easier to see down each side. My Tacoma was rated to pull 5000 lbs, my 7X16 weighed in at 2,100 lbs. Felt light as a feather. Add some gear, it pulls a litlte harder, but I never wernt over my trucks tow rating. Pulled it great, cruised right along the freeway at 60 mph, little slower on steep grades is all. I did have electric brakes too.

In 2005, Tacoma got lots more power on the V6 and tow ratign went to 6,500 lbs. That think will pull a 7X16 or even an 8X16 with ease.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

Because you're never going to get anywhere near the rated towing capacity with bikes in a trailer.

Well, maybe if you decide to bring along a full set of free weights and bench, a couple hundred gallons of water for the pressure washer and a filled hot tub, then you might approach the 6k mark.

But bikes, trailer, tools, and lawn chairs? Not even close.

• Like 2

Castaic717-718127.jpg

2005 Toyota Tacoma with added tow package, including air bags (not in this picture though).

21 foot Malibu WakeSetter

You would be surprised at how well the tacoma tows, however the engine is much stronger than the brakes. We drove quite carefully and despite having a 2wd we made it up some pretty steep boat ramps. We do tow with a half ton now though.

edit: you should not have any trouble, I dont remember what we weighed in at but I want to say it was around 5,000. We did not want to get to close to the rating. You just have to be concious of what your pulling with. When ever we drive up a steep grade we dont go much faster than 55 and take our time. I will say that the 6.0 in my sierra pulls much better but thats comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by txmxer
  • Like 1

I've got an older gen taco and towed my 20' ski boat anywhere it was flat. As soon as there were hills, forget it...if you can make it up it you might not make it down. I think my boat weight is 2800 wet, and say 1000 lbs for the trailer, so maybe around 4000 lbs overall. It was painful and slow, but do able.

IMG_2369.JPG

Also towed a 21' twin axle sleeper trailer, I think it was an old Nomad. That was painfully slow (like chickenhauler said, it was a brick)! I couldn't use 5th gear on the hwy, and stopped even slower. And I couldn't see anything behind me, legally I needed mirror extenders, and I now know why it is necessary.

Upgrade your brakes, Hawk pads made a difference. Not sure how the later gen rear frames are, but I plated my frame to add support. Upgrade your rear leafs or add air. Make sure your leafs have the heavy duty leafs, I know in 05 some tacos had them and some didn't. I think you can tell by the number of leafs. I'm assuming you have the 6 cyl motor, is it a manual or auto? Are you planning on doing many grades or primarily flat land?

Edited by joeprunc

My extended cab F150 FX4 5.4L pulls my 6x12 V-nose great, but get any wind, grades, higher speeds or a combination and you can def. feel you're towing...

6X12 V nose trailer will weigh in at about 1800 lbs, maybe 2000 tops. Current Tacomas (rated for 6,500lbs) will haul that around like its not even there. Sure, you will feel wind, we all will, regardless of what you are pulling it with.

I do a 6x12 v-nose with my '02 double-cab loaded up with two MX bikes and related equipment for playing in the dirt or my road race machines loaded up for staying clean :bonk:

Pulls it no problem, stopping isn't as sure as I would like though. I may be looking at an add-on electric brake package soon. I'll see if I can snap off some pics this week and post them up.

Damian

Edited by TeamPrecisionIT

Thanks for all the responses. I am still not sure what size trailer I am going to get. But at least I know my Tacoma will pull anything no problem (as long as it is under 16ft). I still have the 3 spring leaf pack and I think the recall for the 4 leaf pack was 39k or less... I got the truck at 40k :/ I was thinking of either air bags so I could still have the plush ride when not towing anything... Or do you think I should get a Add a Leaf?

Thanks for all the responses. I am still not sure what size trailer I am going to get. But at least I know my Tacoma will pull anything no problem (as long as it is under 16ft). I still have the 3 spring leaf pack and I think the recall for the 4 leaf pack was 39k or less... I got the truck at 40k :/ I was thinking of either air bags so I could still have the plush ride when not towing anything... Or do you think I should get a Add a Leaf?

I'd opt for the airbags, they are a bit more money, but if you value the ride quality of your truck, they are well worth the investment.

Infinitely variable to compensate for load.

I have the Firestone Ride Rite air bag system on my 99 Tacoma. The truck always sits level no matter how much of a load I have. I did adjust the proportioning valve to the rear brakes to make more braking power to the rear brakes when loaded.

Even if you get the 4 leaf packs, you will still want/like the air bags. I have a double cab short bed, and the butt just squats too easily.......power is good though!

I have the Firestone Ride Rite air bag system on my 99 Tacoma. The truck always sits level no matter how much of a load I have. I did adjust the proportioning valve to the rear brakes to make more braking power to the rear brakes when loaded.

I think I'm going this route.

Do u have the incab air pressure controls?

My initial thoughts are "why would one want to mess around with lift while driving" ?

And, besides the added 300$, mounting and wiring the compressor would take a lot of time to do properly.

BB