Sign in to follow this  

getting scrateches out of plastic

well its winter where i am so im doing some bike prep for the new season... i have had duct tape on my bike till now to protect the stock plastics in preparation for some graphics :smirk: ... unfortunately the fork gaurds are all scratched up as well as a big scratch on my front fender. i was just wondering what the best way to smooth these out would be so that my graphics have a good bond... thanks

I rushed through the thread title, cant correct it now. but anything USEFUL to say would be appreciated...

Fine grit wet sand paper. Depending on how deep the scratches are get something like 220 grit and every other increment or so in between that and 2200 grit. That should make it nice and smooth. It will still have a dull look to the area you sanded, but since you are going to be covering it with stickers anyways then it really shouldn't matter. There is actually a company that make a plastic restore kit, but its basically expensive sand paper and a bottle of some short of shine product.

Edited by woods-rider

If you want something quick n easy...get a heat gun. You will be surprised. Heat gun can remove and smooth most scratches...also removes those white bend lines. Good luck!

ive heard of using a heat gun but was skeptical about how it would remove scratches... thanks

Your right it doesn't remove them as much as put a little bit of life back in. Depends on the scratch

if yur worried about scratches buy a harley and chase pitting chrome instead lol .

• Like 1

if yur worried about scratches buy a harley and chase pitting chrome instead lol .

thats great advice but if you want your graphics kit to actually stick you need to get new plastic or repair the scratches :smirk: