Sign in to follow this  

xr400 electric start/dual sport

Bought a 400ex bottom end,wiring harness and starter of ebay for swap with my xr400. I know it will not be a direct bolt in but I have step by step instuctions on modifiing the frame of ADV rider. My question is its plated and does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagraphm or info on swapping the wiring harness and adapting the 400ex wiring for dual sport?

Have you considered installing the EX crank in your XR cases? From what I have learned, everything is interchangable between the 2 model cases. Then you would not have to deal with different wiring or motor mounts. And you could resell those EX parts you do not use! Negatives to this approach are having to split the cases on both engines and you would not be using the EX stator which has almost twice the capacity of the XR stator.

It just seems prudent, when you have a used bottom end and whichever option requires removing the engine from the frame, to split the cases and confirm the condition of the internals........crank, rod, transmission, etal.