Sign in to follow this  

Need Input... Possible Fuel Pump Issue. FE450

It's the 2nd time this has happened to me. The bike will run great for an hour or so, then if for any reason I shut the motor off, it then will not start again. The first time this happened I thought maybe the battery was going dead due to stopping and waiting on other riders numerous times on the trail but seemed like it had plenty of juice left.. That time I was able to bump start it after waiting about 30 minutes.

Then Saturday I was out tooling around at a local riding area. Had about 40 minutes on the ride when I stopped and shut off the motor to take a quick break and drink down some fluids. When I went to start it, it started and I went about 5 feet when it just stalled out. I hit the e-button again and nothing! It wants to turn over (plenty of battery juice) but sounds like maybe the fuel pump is not ingaging. I ended up having to push it back to the truck but luckily I was somewhat close. Could not bump start it this time. Once back at the truck and the bike had set for about 30 minutes, it then started right up! :smirk: I know others have had issues with their fuel pumps and had to get them replaced. Wondering if this has now happened to me? :bonk:

For those that have had fuel pump issues, can you tell me what the symptoms were that you had so I can compare? :lol: My Berg is a 2010 FE450.

My 2010 TE 450 Husky had same problem. Fuel pump was gunked up. My bike lived with gas in the tank for 18 months with a total of 22 miles put on it. The gas hardened inside the pump and so when the engine and fuel and pump all heated up, the pump would just grind to a halt. I would give it some time or, if I was low on gas, a fill-up with cooling gas would wake it right up. I tried pulling the pump and letting it run in a bath of fuel injector cleaner, and that helped for 2 days and it was back to its old ways. The only solution is to replace the fuel pump.

Your problem could be like the othe FE on the board here, some plastic bits of the tank were sucked up into the pump and have reduced the clearance between the vane and the pump wall, and when it gets hot, it expands, and you lock up.

If you or someone else with the fuel pump assembly out of the bike can post a pic, I'd like to see the design.[/font]

Edited by OlderHuskyRider

^^^ Definetly not old fuel. The bike always get fresh fuel and the fuel I run also get MAXIMA "High Test" additive placed in it to try and keep the sort of thing you mentioned from happening. Been running that stuff in all my bikes. Then again, I am no expert with FI bikes as thiis my first. I do know that Husaberg had fuel pump issues in 2009/2010. Luckily I have an extended warrenty that has not expired yet should the pump need to be replaced.

Sure sounds like your bike ticks all the boxes for a dodgy fuelpump. Suddenly dies, wont start up att all, and then after 30 mins or so it fires right up like nothing happened.

Get it changed on the warranty and these issues will be replaced with happy riding!

Old fuel was just MY problem, yours is likely debris from the tank getting thru the pre-filter, and being worn onto the walls of the pump, lessening the tolerances, heat builds up in the tank, and the pumps chokes down.

Replace the pump. You should be able to get a replacement via your dealer under waranty. Many of the 2010 models had a bad run of pumps made in China. I believe the replacement is made in Italy, if I remember correctly. When the fuel gets hot, the pump seezes up. At first it won't engage when you try to start the bike. Normally you can hear the pump cycle for a few seconds when you first touch the start button. When it gets hot and seezes up, you won't hear that sound. It will get worse and worse and eventually it won't work at all.

Alternate approach is to buy the CA Cycleworks pump, but you have to rework some of the hoses inside the tank.

Ethanol in the fuel is also causing issues if you let it sit too long. I have heard that KTM/Husaberg is now recommending the use of Star Tron fuel additive. I just bought some and added it since my bike will be sitting through the winter.

Guys:

We use a product called Rev-X for our 6.0 diesel engines. Our injectors are engine oil driven/pressurized via a 28,000 psi pump that pressurizes a "common rail" design. Essentially, the Hi Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) pressurizes the injectors trough a common plumbing and then the electronics "fire off" the injector. The 6.0 has a history of the injectors failing and apparently they stopped the trend using Rev-X by adding it to the oil as a treatment about every 30K miles. It might be worth a try to use this product in the fuel much like it has been suggested to add a lilttle oil into the fuel. Just a thought.