Sign in to follow this  

Valve seat dressing

I'm replacing my valves with a set of wiseco's- VIS 009(intake) and VES009(exhaust).

Just wondering whether i could lap the old valves to dress the seats and check for proper sealing when i installing the new valves. Obviously keep an eye on the seat width etc.

Has anyone ever done this?

Cheers again

The seats need to be cut, not lapped.

Yeah thought as much, worth an ask though.

Cheers

Valve seats are hard inserts. You can't accomplish much by lapping. What is the current condition?

Valve seats are hard inserts. You can't accomplish much by lapping. What is the current condition?

The seats and valves are all ok, just changing the valves as prevention rather than cure now that they have just over 20 000m, i've seen pictures where the valves separate. All i need to accomplish really is to get the carbon off the exhaust valve seats and give all 4 seats a new unused face for the new valves to hopefully seal nicely against??

Wasn't sure if it would be worth a go to see if i can get a good seal. If not then i haven't really lost anything because i can just have the seats cut anyway, same cost as it would be if i did't even try.

Cheers

I'm replacing my valves with a set of wiseco's- VIS 009(intake) and VES009(exhaust).

Just wondering whether i could lap the old valves to dress the seats and check for proper sealing when i installing the new valves. Obviously keep an eye on the seat width etc.

Has anyone ever done this?

Cheers again

Im using Wiseco and have been for over 6 years with no problems at all , yes recut the seat followed up with a little lapping in until the grey circle appears on the seat. Make sure all the valve heights are the same after cutting.

yeah .. its interesting that you lap the valves in , i dont know anyone else who still does this .

do you lap them in due to information you have received ?

Lapping.. methods used on uncoated less expensive replacement valves.. Lapping is fine.

It's not done on modern engines using modern quality valves. Which are coated, and are ruined with any lapping done.

when i put in my rhc valves,ron hamp suggested i use the old valves to lap the seats just to clean them up

Edited by mickeydee

So he recommended NOT cutting new seats to go with your NEW valves, and recommended lapping OLD seats with the OLD valves to match the NEW valves? .

To each his own.. that just not my idea of right.

If you chose not to cut new seats for cost cutting measures or whatever, sure, lap away with the old valves.. But I see no reason to install NEW valves in used old valve seats That’s a penny wise pound foolish move in my opinion.

Only issue i have with getting the seats cut is not the money, it's finding someone in my area to do a quality job on the seats. The only person who does it locally uses a stone type cutter rather than an actual cutter if that makes any sense?

I just wondered whether i would be safer doing a quick lapping with the old valves as i have heard that the stone cutters can cause eccentricity in the valve seat, if thats the right term. I'm trying to find the lesser of two evils, and trying to avoid packaging my head up and sending to god knows where for god knows how long before i get it back if i can.

I appreciate all the input on this guys.

Mickydee, did ron recommend this as an alternative to cutting the seats or is that with cutting the seats as well.

My valves seats aren't pitted at all and just need a clean up, but obviously in the end i want to do it right.

Thanks again

when i put in my rhc valves,ron hamp suggested i use the old valves to lap the seats just to clean them up

clean them as a better than nothing in a pinch,ok. but on a 20,000 km or mile motor? they need to be cut.

My valves seats aren't pitted at all and just need a clean up, but obviously in the end i want to do it right.

look at the seats with a magnifying glass.

OK, thanks for all the responses guys. I guess they need to be cut then. Would a stone type cutter be OK for cutting the seats? or should I find somewhere else that uses the 'proper' cutters?

Thanks again

If done by someone that knows what they are doing, from dressing the stones to the right angles, and does a good job.. Stones work fine.. What I learned on 30 years ago..LOL

Excellent. Well i shall have to get the head down there then.

Thanks again guys.

a stone done properly works fine. its what i "finish" my valve jobs with. you are just touching up the 45 seat.

When i first installed my valves i had the seats recut this was due to pitting of the seats at 16000 miles. Then i lapped in the valves to the seats until my grey ring apeared all the way round the seats and checked for vac on a Serdi head shop machine. Now ive just put a new JE piston in so all ive done is washed the head and again lapped in the valves, the seats was not too bad but not perfect but you cant keep cutting to seats in or the valve heighs will be affected. You also need to check the tappet clearance after cutting in the seats or lapping in. I also added new valve stem seals.