why suzuki

a friend of mine and I are looking for some new 250f's, we have narrowed it down to the RMZ and Kawi, so why suzuki?

if you want personal experience, then i cant give you any on the 12 kxf as i have not ridden one. as for the suzuki, it is the best bike i have owned... and hasnt given me any issues (39 hrs). the most important aspect of any bike is the chassis. the suzuki's chassis, once setup properly, is extremely good. it has just the right amount of feedback without doing anything too funny (very predictable), it has the bulk of its mass very central on the bike so it feels much lighter in motion and has a very nice spread of power. my only caveat would be the suspension: its ok, but the front had a bit of harshness to it (draining 15-20cc of oil from the fork tubes cured this for me) but overall i am very satisfied so far with this bike.

also, dont get me wrong, the kawi might as well be just as good, and from what i hear it is a great bike too... your choice is tough and the best way to decide is to try them both out if you can... otherwise GET THE SUZUKI!!! ?

Edited by funkinalive

Take both of them down a fast straight into a flat 180 and then make your decision. Just don't go too fast on the kawi unless you have your jewels on the gas cap. My older son had a KX a couple of years ago, and he described the same turn as beeing about the same as steer wrestling. ( in his words )- you come in hot, you start your turn, you lean, the front end goes straight, and you just kinda slide off the side off the bike. Except there's no steer there to wrestle, so you just LAND on your FACE! Most of the time before you can get your hands up. I call them visor eaters. Thats my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

The wife green-lighted a new bike for me this year. I have been trying to figure out which one I wanted for the last month. It was close between the kx and the rmz, but to me handling is the most important factor. All of my friends have bought into the KX hype this year and they're all giving me so much shit about getting a Suzuki and not a Kawi. Im coming off a 2004 crf250.. Which I loved. I'm pretty sure that this new rmz will be light years ahead of what I'm used to though. As soon as my income tax check comes in, IT'S ON! I can't wait.

back in 09 i too went "against the grain" and got an 09 rmz250 (coming off an 08 crf250, before that 04 crf250) and despite all the talk about how "unreliable" it was it turned out to be a great machine which gave me NO problems. i now have the 2011 rmz250 and STILL dont have it completely setup for me but even stock it has no match!!! my 08 and 09 bikes where good but couldn't TOUCH the 2011. if your smart about maintenance and take some advice given here on the forums it will turn out to be a great bike.

P.S: see who's laughing when your ducking under them in the turns while their blowing the berms or hunting for a rut to save them ?:bonk: .

Edited by funkinalive

Congrats ajcjr.

funkalive - Oh believe me... I can't wait to shut them up when we get on the track. Until then I'll have to hear how "Suzukis suck"... and how there are almost no Suzuki's on the starting gate in SX, blah blah blah..... My one friend keeps saying that the new RMZ looks like a Ronald McDonald bike with the red seat cover. He's calling it the RMD250... I had to laugh at that one though. Whatever, I think they look awesome. CAN... NOT... WAIT to get this machine!

..... My one friend keeps saying that the new RMZ looks like a Ronald McDonald bike with the red seat cover. He's calling it the RMD250... I had to laugh at that one though. Whatever, I think they look awesome. CAN... NOT... WAIT to get this machine!

LOL that is actually pretty funny :bonk: but there is NO WAY the kxf looks better than the rmz IMO, they have ugly long exhaust pipes that vibrate off the frame (among other things) and plastics and engine covers look roached after a few laps of riding (not to mention the rims after a few tire changes). Kinda suX For them when you think about it. still i cant really talk since i haven't ever owned let a lone tried the new kawasaki bikes (heard that their powerful but not much else). but i hear you about seeing them everywhere! their like Volkswagens in Europe (dont know whats a really common car in America) and im glad i didnt join the hype wagon. its kinda a shame that you dont see more zooks on the start line though. i attribute that to the success of pro circuit though, and people thinking they will ride like dean Wilson when they get one. i for one am happy that i trusted my instincts and stayed with the rmd er i mean rmz250 ? ... again if you have anymore questions about the bike ill try my best to answer.

Edited by funkinalive

I have a 2011 Zook and think it is one of the best dirt bikes I have ever ridden (vet novice rider to clarify). I rode a 2011 KX at the track last year and I thought it was okay but did not like the ergonomics. The seat is real flat and wide and sits lower than the Zook. The handlebars feel tall because the saddle height is lower (or at least feels lower). I did not ride it enough to really compare power or handliing. I thought it was okay in that area but I really like my RMZ. It really inspires confidence knowing it is going to stay right were you put it and does what you tell it to do. I also prefer the looks of the yellow bike. I rode a full season on mine and the plastics still look like new and you barely see scuffs on them. I think the looks on this bike hold up better than any Red, Green, or Blue bike!

LOL that is actually pretty funny? but there is NO WAY the kxf looks better than the rmz IMO, they have ugly long exhaust pipes that vibrate off the frame (among other things) and plastics and engine covers look roached after a few laps of riding (not to mention the rims after a few tire changes). Kinda suX For them when you think about it. still i cant really talk since i haven't ever owned let a lone tried the new kawasaki bikes (heard that their powerful but not much else). but i hear you about seeing them everywhere! their like Volkswagens in Europe (dont know whats a really common car in America) and im glad i didnt join the hype wagon. its kinda a shame that you dont see more zooks on the start line though. i attribute that to the success of pro circuit though, and people thinking they will ride like dean Wilson when they get one. i for one am happy that i trusted my instincts and stayed with the rmd er i mean rmz250 :bonk: ... again if you have anymore questions about the bike ill try my best to answer.

For someone that has not owned one you sure got your comments right. I did own one and can say strongly you are correct. Also, take a look at the local track. Those bikes look worked hard and put away dirty no matter what year. They are big and bulky. Awesome motor and starts better than any other bike though. But that's where it stops.

Sorry, had to chime in and make myself feel better for being on an RMZ. Don't we all tend to do this ?

For someone that has not owned one you sure got your comments right. I did own one and can say strongly you are correct. Also, take a look at the local track. Those bikes look worked hard and put away dirty no matter what year. They are big and bulky. Awesome motor and starts better than any other bike though. But that's where it stops.

Sorry, had to chime in and make myself feel better for being on an RMZ. Don't we all tend to do this :bonk:

i guess i should clarify. i have ridden them in the past (specifically an 06 kx450 and an 09 250) but never owned one myself. coming off of those bikes i had my opinions and maybe they could of been setup better for me, but theres only so much you can do to change the character of a bike. the new kxf's are apparently better, but so is every other manufacturer. and from what ive "trolled" over the Internet they inherit more less the same attributes that they did in the past. about the plastics, i dont care about scratches and really cosmetic stuff like that, but when the shrouds are cracked, and rear number plate with muffler is flopping around, that bugs me. Honda574 we dont have to make ourselves feel good about the rmz, we already know we made the right choice ?

While I'm here...I'll go one step further. I am selling the best bike I ever owned (11 KTM 350) as a token to just how satisfied I am with the RMZ. Of course next season the grass may be greener elsewhere. Gosh, I hope I don't regret this one. I would hate to re buy a 350. Kind of pricey.