Sign in to follow this  

why suzuki

from what i have read, mxa said the zook is the least reliable of the bunch, kind of sad because it came in second for the 2012 shootout unchanged!

http://motocrossacti...-JUST-8537.aspx

(2) Engine upkeep. As elated as we were about the 2011 Suzuki RM-Z250 engine, we were equally disappointed with how quickly the powerplant went south after only 20 hours of ride time. The 2011 engine began to slow down and lose power to the point where the bike didn’t feel remotely similar to the bike we started with. Make sure to change the 2012 top end at regular intervals, and check the valves as if your wallet depended on it. [/size]

http://motocrossacti...LL-YO-8621.aspx

SUZUKI RM-Z250 RATINGS

Horsepower: 38.12 (at 11,700 rpm)

Weight: 224 pounds

Price: $7399

Powerband: Second

Suspension: Third

Handling: First

Brakes: Fourth

Clutch: Fifth

Durability: Fifth[/size]

Edited by Tony477g

Why ya gotta come in here and squeeze the jam out of our donut?

We've read all the reviews at least 5 times each.

MXA rips on every one. I used to think they were the most accurate.

As time went on they seem more pompous and arrogant than accurate.

"Read whatever shootout you want, but understand that this one is accurate"...MXA 2012 450 shootout

Edited by Honda574
  • Like 1

Why ya gotta come in here and squeeze the jam out of our donut?

We've read all the reviews at least 5 times each.

MXA rips on every one. I used to think they were the most accurate.

As time went on they seem more pompous and arrogant than accurate.

"Read whatever shootout you want, but understand that this one is accurate"...MXA 2012 450 shootout

to justify why i havent bought one :bonk:

The price is so tempting i mean seriously i can get a 2012 for probably 6000 otd, but all the talk around false neutrals and mxa saying you got to watch the internals like a hawk scare me. Maybe ill just stick to red or switch to a ktm

The price is so tempting i mean seriously i can get a 2012 for probably 6000 otd, but all the talk around false neutrals and mxa saying you got to watch the internals like a hawk scare me. Maybe ill just stick to red or switch to a ktm

Yeah, a brand new $7400 retail bike OTD for $6000 would be tempting. Hard to believe but tempting.

You're right about the "talk" about false neutrals and internals.

You might want to stay out the KTM and Honda forums if you are looking to buy a bike without "talk" about other serious problems (FI going out, gas in oil, flame outs, weak clutches, pre mature crank failures, main bearings, you get the point).

Yeah, a brand new $7400 retail bike OTD for $6000 would be tempting. Hard to believe but tempting.

You're right about the "talk" about false neutrals and internals.

You might want to stay out the KTM and Honda forums if you are looking to buy a bike without "talk" about other serious problems (FI going out, gas in oil, flame outs, weak clutches, pre mature crank failures, main bearings, you get the point).

Seriously! what is up with these new bikes, seems like all of them are going down hill in reliability, ktm i heard about the efi getting plugged, but really i heard it was on the 350. Honda i heard cranks but on the 2010's, maybe ill get lucky maybe not it sucks!

i would love to try the 350, i know they had their teething problems, but with each passing year i find the KTM's to be more and more attractive. regardless, i am also very satisfied with the rmz and have already gotten over any doubts about this fantastic machine.

mxa is a funny magazine. i read that article you posted earlier and then compared it to their shootout which claimed: "...It’s important to note that during the many hours of ride time all bikes were serviced regularly and ran up to their peak performance. More importantly, not a single bike suffered a catastrophic failure (this is something that we couldn’t claim in the early years of 250 four-stroke development)...." which would suggest that all the bikes are rather reliable. personally i have been having absolutely NO problems with the top end for about 40hrs now (simply adjusted valves at 35hrs). loss of power? none that i can feel. i guess you can argue that their very hard on the bikes, but for my riding its been flawless. false neutral? i was also skeptical about this, but after owning an 09 and going about 150 hrs without issue i had no further doubts. regardless, i have followed the tips given here on TT by the guys in the Suzuki forum as a preventive measure and haven't been having any problems with my trans so far... very satisfied! i really think that "bad Suzuki" reliability is a myth, and its hard not to recommend a bike that has held up just as well as the rest of them, and has great performance to boot.

Edited by funkinalive

Furthermore, on the reliability front...

There is a range in manufactuability, an even larger range on user maintenance, and the biggest range on how hard a rider is on a bike.

Take these 3 items you can get a large distribution on reliability.

You have to take all internet, magazine, and friends's of friend's comments with a grain of salt (even though I've allowed it to get in my head at times).

I personally do my part on the maintenance and rider part. As a result I have had no problems with my bikes.

I hope this continues.

i saw a 2011 ktm 350 crank bearing seized within 5 hours of run time... Ktm dealer told him to shove it.

We ride and race with a group of freinds. Two of of the families WERE diehard ktm riders, Until this year when they purchased 2012 250f's. all four bike have failed injecters, and have let them down at the track. KTM wouldnt help at all. They have since traded for new bikes. One went with kawi, and now after going through two or three helmet visors, he's sitting on the gas cap through corners. Yes they still push from the center

Imo, I think the 07 to 09 rmz ( besides the lack of top end ) was seriously underrated for reliability. There's still alot of B class racers out there racing these bikes.

I let my sons 2010 go a little too far on maintenance, for the lack of money. I just made sure that the oil was changed more often that required. ( every 1 1/2 hrs on average ). He NEVER lost power, and when took it apart, all the parts were still in GOOD spec, besides the 3rd 4th main gear was worn pretty good.

honda574 is right, MXA writers sound like a bunch of 14 yr olds. And they dont like suzuki, they just had no choice last year, it was too over welming

• Like 2

found one for 5500 otd :bonk: brand new 2012, i dont know guys whats the verdict is the false neutral thing a "hater" thing or real

found one for 5500 otd :bonk: brand new 2012, i dont know guys whats the verdict is the false neutral thing a "hater" thing or real

as Honda574 said, the three factors involved will determine whether you will have problems. but generally i would say that you are more likely to run into tranny problems with this bike. BUT! with a few cheap preventive measures you can make it run with the rest of them. looking at many rmz's i find the problem stems from a poor shifting mechanism (getting between gears from not "positively" shifting). i dont care what material your gears are made of, this grinding cause A LOT of wear on the gear engagement dogs. having enough of these missed shifts will cause the dogs to round and oppose each other. the first remedy people have been applying since the 07 rmz is a stiffer detent spring, which tightens up shifting and prevents you from getting between the gears and damaging the doggs so often (though neutral may become harder to find). the second remedy is to use a slightly thicker oil: like a 15w-50 or even 20w-50. this will provide more damping between the gears, and is used to prolong tranny components. personally using the thicker oil (15w-50) has actually improved shifting. finally, as stated above the rmz shifter is very close to the foot peg, making it difficult for guys with larger feet to get a good shift sometimes. TOTAL COST (detent spring, oil, hammerhead shifter) =$75

BTW thats an UNBELIEVABLE price!!!

as Honda574 said, the three factors involved will determine whether you will have problems. but generally i would say that you are more likely to run into tranny problems with this bike. BUT! with a few cheap preventive measures you can make it run with the rest of them. looking at many rmz's i find the problem stems from a poor shifting mechanism (getting between gears from not "positively" shifting). i dont care what material your gears are made of, this grinding cause A LOT of wear on the gear engagement dogs. having enough of these missed shifts will cause the dogs to round and oppose each other. the first remedy people have been applying since the 07 rmz is a stiffer detent spring, which tightens up shifting and prevents you from getting between the gears and damaging the doggs so often (though neutral may become harder to find). the second remedy is to use a slightly thicker oil: like a 15w-50 or even 20w-50. this will provide more damping between the gears, and is used to prolong tranny components. personally using the thicker oil (15w-50) has actually improved shifting. finally, as stated above the rmz shifter is very close to the foot peg, making it difficult for guys with larger feet to get a good shift sometimes. TOTAL COST (detent spring, oil, hammerhead shifter) =$75

Ive been thinking, if i do get the problem, I can get this bike 1000 dollars cheaper than a kawi, with the 1000, is there a way to get stronger gears in there, I know its going to be expensive.

what I THINK is that you should try the cheap mods first! (detent spring, thicker oil, longer shifter) and when/if the tranny goes south you can have the gears cryo treated and the gear doggs undercut at a good machine shop as well as add the previeously mentioned mods... but still, right now while the bike hasnt even seen dirt is the BEST time to put in the 450 detent spring, and use a thicker oil. costs very litle for assurance...

is it hard t put the detent spring in, on my crf250r ive never opened it up and honestly im afraid to. It intimidates me to think that something might go wrong

if its a new bike there really is nothing that can go wrong, i have an 08 manual (almost identical) which has chapters on clutch and gear shift mechanism inspection/removal and i can send you it if you like. the Suzuki manuals are very good i find. it only really involves taking out the clutch and right side engine cover and a little disassembly of the gear shift mechanism, taking my time i can have it done within about 1.5 hours and no really special tools.if you really dont have the confidence to get your hands a bit dirty, then the least you can do is switch up to the heavier oil: 15w-50 which also helps prolong tranny components and smooth out shifting and clutch action