Sign in to follow this  

Header pipe pic - This normal?

Going over a bike I just bought - looks like the bike was layed down on the right side pretty hard? I don't think this kink is supposed to be in the header pipe, Anyone?

And the pic makes it look worse then it actually is - but I still don't think it's normal.

Thanks!

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Only if you're nokickstandsallowed! :smirk:

No, that isn't normal, looks like it got hit and bent there. You should replace it.

You should replace it.

I wouldn't automatically jump on that band wagon. I would bet that in a back to back comparison with that pipe and a new stock pipe you couldn't tell which was which by power alone. I am not saying that you shouldn't replace it, just that you should consider keeping it, especially if money is not pouting out your ears.

Edited by woods-rider

I wouldn't automatically jump on that band wagon. I would bet that in a back to back comparison with that pipe and a new stock pipe you couldn't tell which was which by power alone. I am not saying that you shouldn't replace it, just that you should consider keeping it, especially if money is not pouting out your ears.

That's kind of what I was wondering too, Its not going to be a race bike so I don't need EVERY bit of HP, of course it never hurts either. A header used around here I can get for $100 bones, but really if its not a HUGE issue then I'll just run it until I dump it on that side again against a rock and then HAVE to replace it.

Any other issues I might come across other then a couple robbed HP?

I don't think you will really have much in the way of power loss, but it could be a weak spot. There might be a heat issue, but then again, the bend is just in front of it so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Only if you're nokickstandsallowed! :smirk:

No, that isn't normal, looks like it got hit and bent there. You should replace it.

That was pretty good - but you have to remember, mine look like a Yeti sat on them :bonk:

The one pictured looks nothing like a collapsing issue - that's definitely what a crash twist looks like - mine don't have that characteristic.

I'm glad I saved my original header pipe section, because I want to show the underside of mine as well.

YetiPipe.png

Mine has the identical ding just below where the cage connects enclosed in the red area. I thought it kind of strange that the OP's has the same ding.

The blue area points out that mine has no twist in the area of the pipe just behind the connecting flange and is in rather good condition considering how flat mine is if you see it from the side in my header thread. That same section of the OP's pipe looks like something is trapped in the pipe (almost like a worm ripple bump) that is characteristically associated with a twisting issue resulting from a crash.

The orange arrow is where my pipe is almost completely flat.

Edited by nokickstandsallowed