Sign in to follow this  

1999 Yz 250 to 295

Just looking to get some input on the YZ 295 kit. What porting should I go with? Is it worth doing? Is it a huge difference in power? Any input will be appriciated.

Depends on the mission... We ride tight, rocky terrain (eastern enduro full of rocks!!!); I rode my friends 295 ported for mo-betta. I hated it; it just had too much power everywhere (I'm old now but used to be an 'A' enduro rider); pretty scary in the trees! I sent my cylinder in for a 265 low-to-mid. Sorta wish I had tried the 295 low-to-mid. You just never know till you try it.

Just like Kenpowell stated, it all depends on you terrain. I have the 295 with the mo-betta and ride harescrambles. A lot of single track, hills, and rocks. I love it with the mo-betta, I can lug her when I want or I can pin it for incredible power in straights. It has a lot of bottom pull to it. I cant imagine how the low to mid would be. That would probably be the best in big hill climbs, and the mid to top would probably be a better for the dunes.

I do most of my riding in tighter areas. But I also ride in high plain desert so I really don't want to loose the top end. Plan on doing some hare scrambles too. I used to have a 97 ktm 360, and she owned the desert. I guess I'm trying to build a great all around bike that excells everywhere. Sounds like mo betta is what I want. It still has a hard hit, yeah?

I went with the Mid to Top porting, there should be plenty off the bottom with the extra cc's. I don't want an overly abrupt bottom end power as it makes it to hairy in the tight & knarly stuff and sacrifices traction out of corners etc.

I had the same setup on my 265 with great results.