Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR400 Shock Length

Hi. I asked this question over in the XR400 forum but thought I'd post here also since there are some experts here who have and ride the XR4. I just bought an 03 XR4 and while taking it all apart to do my usual cleaning, servicing and greasing I noticed that the forks where way high in the tripple clamps. This led me to think that the bike might have a lowering link so I checked. No aftermarket link. I measured the overall length of the shock and it is about 15 5/8 (~39.5 cm) measured from center to center from the upper to lower mounting holes. Someone had replied that theirs measured 43 cm. That's a whopping 1.5 inches different. If 43 cm is the correct stock measurement, does anyone know if my shock is salvageable? When I get home tonight, I'll check the seat height and clearance to see what they are. What height are the forks set at in stock configuration - so I can shoot for accurate seat height measurement?

There are lines at the top of the tubes. Standard height is at the FOURTH line from the top. My owners and shop manual do not show eye to eye length of shock. Sorry.