Sign in to follow this  

07 died of nowhere

Put about 3 hrs of riding on her today and the bike felt great....until I head back to the truck to leave. Out of the blue the bike dies. At first I had thought I ran out of gas but I still have half a tank. I turned around and tried to kick the bike with no luck. I then proceeded to jump start the bike but to no avail. Seems like I'm getting no spark. Tons of compression. A flywheel weight was installed three rides ago and has been great. Any thoughts or suggestions? Bike has 85 hrs on it.

Maybe its the flywheel. I had a '04 YZ450 that I broke the woodruff key when installing a new flywheel and it wouldn't crank for shit.

This happened to me with a Steahly FWW on my '06.

The bolts for the weight came loose and tore up my stator. Take a look under the cover, you'll probably find the same mess I did.

Yes, along with a new flywheel. The FW may have been usable but was beat up pretty good and didn't want any issues.

I found a used FW on ebay and Steahly sent me one of their lighting coil stators at cost (about $60) to help remedy the situation.

My FWW only had 3 hrs run time on it before it let go.

Edited by Kroynon

I see. I will rip the bike apart next weekend and post what i find. Our stories sound similar though. I'm defiantly going to contact stealthy!

Well it's back together. Took forever since I was in the process of moving. Everything went together nicely but when I tried to kick her over nothing! I tried several times. I was able to bump start the bike and it ran great. Any thoughts on why it won't kick start?

So u got it running by bump starting, now after that did u shut the bike off and try kicking? Like ur saying no matter what it wont kick start but will bump start?

Yes and yes. I rode the bike for a few minutes, turned it off then tried kicking, nothing. Only starts off a bump.

Any thoughts on why it won't kick start?
Maybe nothing to do with the work you just did on it. Old fuel, or crap in the bottom of the carb bowl? Really quick and easy to undo the drain plug.

You never said what the original problem was. Just curious ... loose FWW trashed the FW and/or stator?

I put a Steahly FWW on my 06. Done 13 hrs on it. Love it. Was real paranoid about doing everything they wrote in their install notes. At one point I dropped the woodruff key and I thought it fell down into the crankcase, but luckily it was sitting hiding behind something. Phew!

Edited by numroe

After my first set of posts I found one of the bolts that holds the weight to the flywheel had came loose and tore up the stator. Luckily the stator looked like the only damage. Stealthy hooked my up with one of theirs. Everything was installed the same way it came off and I made sure the new bolts had plenty of loc tite and were punched.

Probably time to inspect valve clearances, too tight on intakes if only able to bump start and not kick.

sounds like it could be the valves.. but once its warm it should start with a kick if its valves.. unless its realllll bad

The bike had always started with one or two kicks prior to this. When I get a chance I will check

The carb and prob the valves.

IF you own any 450 you NEED to check the valves its not a suggestion, its a necessity. I might be reading into this too much, but by the way you said it, it seems like you havent checked them lately.

I apologize if you have just checked them and feel that its not the issue, however if you havent checked them, you need to. I would check the carb first, and then at the same time I would check the valves. Thats the logical order of things.

Anyone will tell you, if your bike doesnt wana kick start, you check the valves, its the first, and most common symptoms of tightened valve clearances, and its so easy to check..

Update. Just checked my valve clearances and they are in spec. I also made sure the carb was nice and clean. No issue there either. Also pulled the plug and used a large screwdriver for ground. The spark seems to be kinda weak. I'm going to purchase a new plug this week. A friend suggested I may have lost some magnetism on the flywheel when the stator took a dump. Another possibility?

good luck man i duno what to say now

plug wire? I would have to assume this would be a more likely culprit than a "loss of magnetism"

Edited by stlavsa

Well put a new plug in the bike and nothing. Getting a new stator hopefully soon. I'm stumped!