Sign in to follow this  

Im stuck, literally, and need some ideas for oil plug bolt.

I was going to do a quick oil change today on the XR and everything was going great until I tried to loosen the engine oil plug bolt. It was tight and I carefully worked at it but with no luck. The socket started stripping the head after several attempts the head was pretty much done. I tried vise grips that just keep slipping on the head, I tried a left hand drill bill that didnt loosen the bolt but did provide me a nice hole to put an extractor into. You guess it, extractor broke off inside the hole. Forgot to mention I did run the bike for a while before attempting all this hoping a warm engine/bolt would make things easier. I got frustrated and came inside to have a cold one and think. My next move is to cut the head off the bolt and drill it out.

Anyone have any ideas on what my next course of action should be????

I'd try cutting a slot in it with a dremmel or hack saw, then use an impact screw driver. Or cut a notch, use a punch on side hitting it horizontally in CCW direction. The second method may be difficult to visualize. Using a compass directions with N=0* E=90* , the notch is cut on the east portion of the bolt, the punch is placed as horizontal as possible to the bolt or bottom of the engine, in a S/N direction. When you strike the punch , from south to north it will cause the bolt to rotate CCW. Or place the punch as near to tanget to the bolt while still being able to get purchase on the bolt.

I'd try cutting a slot in it with a dremmel or hack saw, then use an impact screw driver. Or cut a notch, use a punch on side hitting it horizontally in CCW direction. The second method may be difficult to visualize. Using a compass directions with N=0* E=90* , the notch is cut on the east portion of the bolt, the punch is placed as horizontal as possible to the bolt or bottom of the engine, in a S/N direction. When you strike the punch , from south to north it will cause the bolt to rotate CCW. Or place the punch as near to tanget to the bolt while still being able to get purchase on the bolt.

+1 :smirk:

Loosened many a stubborn bolt, nut that way.

Well, a cold beer and some cool down time did the trick. After my cold one I went outside and reevaluated. I tried the notching with the dremel with no luck. After looking at it more carefully I was able to get a different set of channel locks on the bolt head and with some frustration strength I broke the seal and out she came. My new magnetic bolt went in just fine.

Once again a cold brew saved the day!

I'm sure this is just my personal opinion... but those magnetic oil drain bolts are very weak due to the magnet set in the middle of the bolt and are quite susceptible to breaking off the head leaving the bolt in the block.

Just be VERY carefull not to over tighten. Glad to see you got this fixed without much trouble. :smirk:

Perc

Get a supply of aluminum crush washers.

Cheaper at auto parts stores if you can find them.

Use a 2" piece of pvc tubing when you change the oil. Keeps the oil off the frame.