Sign in to follow this  

so i got this old honda lil bike for free

1984 z50r

its actually in really good shape,been sitting for 15+ years

so i was checking it out the other night and everything looks to be in good working order...minus

the obvious stuff like carb rebuilt/ clean out ..chain replaced ...oil change...ext

kicked it over and it doesnt have any spark.so i got the test light out

if i unplug the coil and the on/off switch wires at the wire connector coming from the points. kick it over i have an

instant bright test light. if i plug the coil back in...no light sometimes at best very dim

i have removed the flywheel and checked out the points and everything

it all looks like the day it was made,also made sure the points (gap)was within specs

the last thing i tryed was a different coil with same outcome

not sure what to do next..or where to get parts

any help would be great!! want to get this thing running for my 4 month old to ride in the near future

Edited by jeremyraptor

if i unplug the coil and the on/off switch wires at the wire connector coming from the points. kick it over i have an

instant bright test light. if i plug the coil back in...no light sometimes at best very dim

Sounds like you're on the right track and have narrowed it down. Have you checked the on / off switch and the wires to it? Typically, ON is an open circuit and OFF closes the circuit and grounds the ignition so you don't get a spark. If you don't know what the correct state should be and you don't have a wiring diagram, put your DMM across the switch and see if the continuty changes with the switch position. If it doesn't change, I would suspect the switch or the wires.

• Like 1

Leave the kill switch unplugged and test to see if you're getting spark at the plug boot. If not, unthread the plug boot and see if you get spark at the plug wire end. As said above, the kill switch may be bad, or you may need a new spark plug boot.