Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha guy thinking about coming back to a Honda,

I switched to Yamaha in 99 and I have not owned a Honda since my 97 CR250R and most people hated that bike but it was my favorite, Im wanting to get back into off road (trail/ Hare scrambles) and Im thinking about the CRF250X , YZ250 and the WR250F. can anyone tell me why I should get the honda over the Yamaha?

• Like 1

crf wr

both need to be uncorked from factory settings

crf may need valve work sooner but from what I have read wr will be a lot more expensive when they do go.

both have e start

It will come down to ergo's I think. I have only ridden a WR a couple of times and found the ergo's too different for my tastes.

Hmmm? Red or blue?Red or blue?Red or blue?Red or blue?Red or blue?

Hey Jody,

I have a 2006 WR250F (steel frame). My girlfriend has a 2007 CRF230F. I have friends with a 2005 CRF250X and a 2007 WR250F (alum frame). None were significantly modified but they were derestricted.. We all went riding one day on a a small, private set of trails that were set up like a mini track. We switched bikes back and forth that afternoon. Here are my conclusions:

The CRF250X has a slightly stronger motor.

The CRF250X turns quicker.

The alum frame WR turns quicker than the steel frame WR.

The suspension on the CRF250X didn't feel as smooth as the WRs.

The CRF230F is not in the same class of engine hp, suspension, or handling as any of the 250fs, although the seat is significantly lower.

Bottom line. The differences were not large. If you want a quick turning bike, pick the X. If you want a stable handling bike with plush suspension pick the WR. If you want a short height, pick the 230F, but be prepared to put some money into forks and a shock.

My girlfriend is selling her 230F and buying a 250F. She's outgrown the suspension of the 230F. She is going to buy a 250X because she said it "felt lighter" when she was riding it than the WRs.

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 1

Keep in mind tough that suspension can be fixed fairly easy and cheaply...Re-valves and such are fairly cheap and work wonders!

I rode WR's for 7 years. Made the switch to CRF last season. CRF by far has more usable low end power. WR needs to be wound like a 2 smoke to make power. CRF will turn circles around WR. way better low speed handling. Hi speed WR is more stable. CRF needs dampner if your racing. Both suspensions are fair out of the crate but WR is softer. They both need respring if your over 170# and both need revalve no matter what. Tight woods CRF hands down. Desert both can be great bikes with some mods.

That is what i was quoted. FInd a 2009 and it will look exactly the same as a 2012 but cost almost half. I paid $3,850 for mine in pristine condition on CL.

The dealer called today and said they found me a 2012 and I could have it for $7k and tax, Sound good?

Like coinless said - there are some killer bargains out there on leftovers...just have to call around.

I have seen a couple here in the $4200-4500 range brand new and am thinking about grabbing one for $4k when the ground is solid white and sticking it in the basement for a couple of years. I know my 04 will not last forever...although it gives no indication that its days are numbered.

I love the bike...and have invested a considerable amount in aftermarket gear that could easily be swapped over.

• Like 1

Like coinless said - there are some killer bargains out there on leftovers...just have to call around.

I have seen a couple here in the $4200-4500 range brand new and am thinking about grabbing one for $4k when the ground is solid white and sticking it in the basement for a couple of years. I know my 04 will not last forever...although it gives no indication that its days are numbered.

I love the bike...and have invested a considerable amount in aftermarket gear that could easily be swapped over.

I found a new 2009 in TN. for $4,497 with on extra fees. I will be calling them tomorrow!

I went to buy a CRF250X and when I got to the dealer that said he didnt have a WR250F guess what not only did he have a WR he also had a YZ250!! so now im sitting here trying to decide again well Im about 90% decided and looks like the YZ250 is going to be the bike . Sorry Honda but Yamaha still has a 2 stroke!

Edited by Jody Works