Sign in to follow this  

NEW MOTOCROSS BIKE HELP!?

hey, im 13 years old (turning 14 soon) and i do motocross and some trail riding. i am NOT a beginner, i have been riding for a number of years and know how to ride a bike. im usually placing around 1st and 2nd at my local track. i currently have a Suzuki rm85 and im looking to move up from my current bike. the problem is im not sure if i should get an 85 big wheel or a 125 2t. i dont think im ready for a 250 yet. i have ridden a 250 a few times but the 250's just feel way too heavy for me. i am pretty small at 5'2 and also pretty light.

So, any suggestions?

i'd go with the 125 2t myself. for one i ride smokers, i think they're more fun so i'm kinda biased. :bonk: 2nd thing is the cost of maintenance, upkeep, and ease of maintenance will make it more suitable for a younger person on a limited budget, unless you folks are loaded and very giving of the dough that is. 3rd thing is i think that learning to ride a smoker will help to round out your riding skills and if you go back to the thumper you'll find yourself going faster than before just because most folks seem to be faster on the thumpers. 4th thing is it will fit you much longer, forever really. going with the big wheel would probably be an easier transition but if you hit a growth spurt and shoot up a bunch it will feel cramped pretty quickly whereas a 125 smoker will fit you pretty much forever.

so that's my .02. make sure and post up some pics of whatever you decide on. :smirk:

okay thanks for that :smirk: yea your right i think the 125 would be more suitable. ive been in the 85 class for a while and i think im ready to step into the junior 125's. and the bigger wheels will make it better for the trails. what 125 would you rocommend though? i was looking at the yz125 and the rm125. they both look like great bikes, and if i was going to get one i would get it second hand.

personally i'd get the husky wr125 because they come with the 144 kit in the box and you can pickup leftover '11s for around 5k. the yz's are little rippers, i know several guys that ride them and love 'em. you can always go with the egorr 144 kit on it as well if you want a little more pep down the road. honestly though, they're all good bikes these days. just make sure it hasn't been thrashed, and plan on having an extra $150 leftover after purchase so you can throw a new topend in once you get it home. most guys will say that it has a fresh topend but i rarely trust them. only once have i pulled a head and seen that it was in fact very fresh and simply re-installed the head and held onto the topend for 100 hours or so down the road.

I think you should walk around the pits at your next race and sit on a few 125's to find which one is the shortest. You will for sure find the Japanese 125's to be shorter then the european brands. My KX125 was REALLY short and all the YZ's I've ridden have felt the same. At your age, it doesn't matter which bike you get, I'd buy something cheap, deck it out for racing and have fun. Don't