Will bike fit in short bed truck?

Man, me and the entire tacomaworld.com forum would sell our kidney's if Toyota either sold the Hilux in the States or at least offered a diesel Taco option. Hell, my V6 only makes 190hp and 220 ft/lbs torque at 3600rpm. Checking my logs, i avg about 16.5 mpg during m-f on winter gas (which drops your mpg about 1-2) That's loaded with the topper, sliders, and 120lbs of sand bags in the back for traction on ice. Also up about 2-2.5 inches over stock and on one size larger than stock, more aggressive tires. My commute is 15 miles each way to and from the big city, about 1/2 stop and go, 1/2 at hwy speeds. Send me your DMAX, i'll pay for shipping. ?

IMG_0256Medium.jpg

Good day DblCabMN.

The current global model Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D diesel and my present-day Isuzu DMax 3.0 iTEQ diesel are by today's diesel midsize pickup standards considered as dated. Allow me to explain why sir....

The Hilux D-4D pumps out 163 hp with 343 Nm (253 lb force-ft) of torque from 1400 rpm to 3200 rpm. The DMax iTEQ, on the other hand, produces also an identical 163 hp with a peak flat torque of 360 Nm (265.5 lb force-ft) from 1800 rpm to 2800 rpm. They are very good diesel engines no doubt about it, with the fuel mileage advantage going for the Isuzu DMax. The Hilux is bit thirsty compared to the DMax. They are now dated because both are still using 1st generation diesel CRDi engines and 1st-generation mechanical variable-geometry turbos. The current-model Hilux still uses the 2001 model 1KD-FTV engine while the DMax offers engine variants like the 2004 model 4JJ1-TC and the slightly-improved 2006 model 4JJ1-TCX engine.

The midsize diesel global model 2012 Ford Ranger TDCi and the global model 2012 Chevrolet Colorado VCDi pickups are equipped with 3rd-generation diesel CRDi engines with electronic variable geometry turbochargers (eVGT). I just don't know what's the home country (USA) sales programmes of Ford and GM-Chevy why they won't be selling these very very good diesel pickup trucks in the US.

It would be better perhaps if you pickup lovers out there in the US (or North America) impress upon these big US car makers to offer their midsize global model diesel pickups to you Americans. The irony in my opinion is that they are selling them throughout the globe, except in the US. Modern diesel pickups like these new Ranger and new Colorado are way better because of fuel economy and heaps of outstanding low-end torque, which is the ENGINE'S PULLING-FORCE, and incidentally the one you really need for towing, loading and hauling, in steep ascents etc. Remember, horsepower is just a function of the engine-rpm which is measured from the crank and the engine's ability to pull, which is the torque. Diesels are inherently torquier than the gasoline-fed and the reason only why they don't produce more horsepower compared to the gasoline ones, it is only because they don't rev up too high (remember engine hp = torque x rpm/5252).... Since gasolines can rev up, say up to 6000 rpm, they produces more horsepower. But torque-wise, they are weaker compared to the diesels, and much of them even the 4.0-litre gasoline V6-engines produces their peak torque somewhere 4000 rpm. Thus, they consume more fuel because engine-rev is directly proportional to fuel intake.... Diesels, on the other hand, actually don't need to rev-out high because the peak torque that one would need for heavy pulling and hauling is already there starting at revs as low as 1500 rpm, which equates only to 750 sequential pressure combustion in a 4-stroke cycle engine. Diesels also have fuel scavenging mechanisms.... Just imagine how much combustion a gasoline would need just to tap its peak torque at 4000 rpm.

Below sir, see the all new 2012 Ranger 3.2 TDCi. In the fuel econo-run that Ford Motors conducted in Thailand, the all-new Ranger returned a fuel mileage of 17.5 km per litre (41.0 miles per US gallon).... In my opinion it's about time that Americans should start having these midsize diesel pickups.... But this is only my opinion sir.

2012 Ford Ranger 3.2-litre TDCi midsize pickup ---- comes with a straight-penta cylinder diesel CRDi engine - 200 hp, 470 Nm (347 lb force-ft) torque.

The new Ranger 3.2 TDCi does not even need balancing shafts as the crank throws are relatively closely-spaced enough at 72 degrees to each other. The only design that is smoother than a straight 5-cylinder engine is a straight-6 as the throws are even angled closer at 60 degrees to each other. BMW's still makes straight-6, by the way.

Ford32-litre2.jpg

Ford32-litre3.jpg

Edited by joshua_inigo

Joshua -

That was one detailed reply, and i fully agree with it. The problem here in the States (as i see it) is that we are a bunch of &%$#@!. Just look at all the brand-wars and bigger is better crotch led arguments we get in to.

We think this is considered a great truck:

"The 2011 Ford F-150 equipped with the all-new 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine delivers an unbeatable combination of power, capability and efficiency, making it perfect for this challenge. It is EPA-certified at 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, complementing the best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque the engine produces. It also offers best-in-class conventional towing of 11,300 pounds and best-in-class payload of 3,060 pounds"

And while if we keep the gas-fed blinders on I'd agree that it's quite good. The problem is that some of us know there are plenty more capable 'small' diesel trucks out there that would be more than enough vehicle for scores of "1500" series truck buyers... And once word got out that 'my little diesel' hauls plenty, rides nicer, and gets me twice as far on the same volume of fuel... we'd finally join the rest of the world in favoring affordable diesels. The main reason Ford chose to nix the diesel ranger in the states is because it competed with their F-150 and they will continue to sell us 'shit' until we stop buying it. (though that's difficult since there aren't many (any?) options.

Joshua -

That was one detailed reply, and i fully agree with it. The problem here in the States (as i see it) is that we are a bunch of &%$#@!. Just look at all the brand-wars and bigger is better crotch led arguments we get in to.

We think this is considered a great truck:

"The 2011 Ford F-150 equipped with the all-new 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine delivers an unbeatable combination of power, capability and efficiency, making it perfect for this challenge. It is EPA-certified at 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway, complementing the best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque the engine produces. It also offers best-in-class conventional towing of 11,300 pounds and best-in-class payload of 3,060 pounds"

And while if we keep the gas-fed blinders on I'd agree that it's quite good. The problem is that some of us know there are plenty more capable 'small' diesel trucks out there that would be more than enough vehicle for scores of "1500" series truck buyers... And once word got out that 'my little diesel' hauls plenty, rides nicer, and gets me twice as far on the same volume of fuel... we'd finally join the rest of the world in favoring affordable diesels. The main reason Ford chose to nix the diesel ranger in the states is because it competed with their F-150 and they will continue to sell us 'shit' until we stop buying it. (though that's difficult since there aren't many (any?) options.

Yes, too bad really man, that both of these truly-excellent latest Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCi and Chevy Colorado 2.8 VCDi midsize diesel pickups are unheard of in the US theatre of pickup trucks.

Even the midsize Japan made 4-cylinder DMax 3.0 iTEQ VGS diesel, which is already quite a stellar performer for a pickup, does not even come close to these American made diesels mentioned above. Both the Chevy Colorado and the Ford Ranger are pumping out 470 Nm of torque even when the Chevy is just a 4-cylinder while the Ford is 5-cylinder. This figure is quite close enough to the 6-straight cylinder BMW X3 3.0 TDi's 550 Nm of torque.

Here's a brief about the DMax's drivetrain

http://www.isuzuute.com.au/Spirit-of-Truck.aspx?pg=drivetrain

Samples of the DMax's or typical modern diesel's fuel-efficiency even when towing a boat (just convert litres per hundered kilometers to miles per US gallon) ---- for example, a 5.5 litres/100 kilometres is 42.8 US mpg.

http://www.isuzuute.com.au/maxrun/max-run-journey.aspx

If you also search enough sir, you'd find out that the DMax finished 1st amongst all diesel utilities (UTE) entries during the 2009 Paris-Dakar Rally under an Australian privateer duo. This was even against V6-gasoline and diesel pickups.

garland_11th_001.jpg

The France-issued DMax (which in my opinion looks really good)

Isuzu_D-Max_014_1291024538077a-1.jpg

Isuzu_D-Max_015_1291024540234-1.jpg

Edited by joshua_inigo

Damn that Isuzu looks great. That's it. I'm moving.

That's what i also thought about them, that's why i ended up owning DMax's sir through the years....They look simple yet good at every angle, and such a sweet performer they are for a midsize pickup.

photos_photo_id143.jpg

accPp11.jpg

000901-6-1.jpg

000901-5-1.jpg

wall50_1280x800-2.jpgwall49_1280x800-2.jpg

wall53_1280x800-2.jpg

dmax4JJ1and4JH1.jpg

But next time (probably this year), i'm moving to the 2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCi.... See succeeding post sir....

Kind regards.

that ranger has to be one of the fugliest cars i've ever seen...

You really think so the 5-straight cylinder 3.2-litre Ford Ranger TDCi is ugly? Perhaps yammablue, you ain't seen nothing yet. Here's some of the videos about the Ranger ? ....Just posted a few of them as the forum doesn't allow me to post more media.

Payload on soft sands

Top-towing

Anyway, should you still find the Ranger fugly, see the photo in the succeeding post about the all-new 2012 4-cylinder diesel-versions of the GM-Chevrolet Colorado pickup and Chevy Trailblazer SUV to be offered worldwide, except in the US, this mid-2012. Both come with a 2.8-litre VM Motori-engineered diesel CRDi engines with electronic VGTs pumping out plus 180 hp with a pulling-force (torque) of 470 Nm starting at 2000 rpm. The bigger Ford Ranger, pumps out 200 hp and produces an identical 470 Nm of torque but distributed widely from low 1500 rpm to 3000 rpm.

Edited by joshua_inigo

i didn't say chevy's new line was any prettier! if the front clip on the chevy was a little less foreign or "modern" looking ? it'd look acceptable but meh. , i'll just stick with what i have! not to ugly not too pretty! i mean why can't all car makers be smart like this? 2012-porsche-911-spy-shots_100344914_m.jpg

Wow man.... Didn't know that was your idea of a pickup truck :bonk:

Cheers!

So whats keeping Isuzu from importing that truck!?

Probably the same thing that keeps almost all diesels from coming state side. Either the epa or the manufacturers are afraid it won't sell. I'm sure they would sell, who wouldn't want a midsized truck that has almost as much torque as a full size v8 pickups and gets good gas mileage. When ford brought the transit over they should have carried over the diesel but didn't. I think more manufacturers will star to bring over diesels, I think chevy will be doing it with the cruze shortly. But, right now the manufacturers are probably scared they wouldn't sell the garbage they call trucks here in America.

• Like 1

Probably the same thing that keeps almost all diesels from coming state side. Either the epa or the manufacturers are afraid it won't sell. I'm sure they would sell, who wouldn't want a midsized truck that has almost as much torque as a full size v8 pickups and gets good gas mileage. When ford brought the transit over they should have carried over the diesel but didn't. I think more manufacturers will star to bring over diesels, I think chevy will be doing it with the cruze shortly. But, right now the manufacturers are probably scared they wouldn't sell the garbage they call trucks here in America.

Idk. I was under the impression that the Euro emission standards were even tougher than ours. My '96 f250 is great but the best I can get is 19mpg on the hwy. I would buy any of those midsize trucks in a minute.

• Like 1

Idk. I was under the impression that the Euro emission standards were even tougher than ours. My '96 f250 is great but the best I can get is 19mpg on the hwy. I would buy any of those midsize trucks in a minute.

In certain areas they may be but then other areas are more lax. In particular I think that NOx emission standards are stricter here than in Europe. But CO2 and particulate matter emissions are more strict in europe. Its not black and white.

Edited by 79yamdt

i love my 02 chevy 2500 and it's for the most part besides the previous owners faults a great truck, i would still prefer to have an oldschool toyota hilux diesel like the one from top gear with a four speed, but i can't find one thats not a total rust bucket, because they were flatout indesructable. why can't all car makers make great cars like that?

i love my 02 chevy 2500 and it's for the most part besides the previous owners faults a great truck, i would still prefer to have an oldschool toyota hilux diesel like the one from top gear with a four speed, but i can't find one thats not a total rust bucket, because they were flatout indesructable. why can't all car makers make great cars like that?

They wouldn't sell any new vehicles then because the only reason people would have to buy a new one is when the body rusts off of it. I just watched what they did to that hilux. It's freakin amazing the thing still moves, I knew they were reliable and dependable trucks but that takes it to a whole new level.

They wouldn't sell any new vehicles then because the only reason people would have to buy a new one is when the body rusts off of it. I just watched what they did to that hilux. It's freakin amazing the thing still moves, I knew they were reliable and dependable trucks but that takes it to a whole new level.

yea! i thought it was dead when they set it on fire, but nooooope! somehow... i guess they need to make shit to sell shit essentially...

So whats keeping Isuzu from importing that truck!?

GM Chevrolet has already severed its ties with Isuzu Japan so there's no possibility for Isuzu to bring that DMax midsize pickup into the US. Isuzu provided the engines for the Chevy Duramax 6.6-litre diesel as well as all the other Chevrolet diesels inside sold in-and-out of the US up until 2010, and partially to some Chevy lineups in 2011. In Australia and New Zealand, Chevrolet is labeled as Holden.

Apart from Chevy in the past, Toyota Motors is also at present a major shareholder of Isuzu Motors, so in the interest of Toyota in the US market, it would prioritise first Toyota cars before any Isuzu's will enter the US.