Sign in to follow this  

Can't get right side cover off of bike

I have been trying to get the right side cover off of my bike. This is usually a routine thing for me and only takes about twenty minutes. Well something is just not right this time around. I cannot get the cover to come off in the corner where the water pump is; it has started to come out slightly but it just will not come out any further and I do not want to break the freakin thing. I have triple and quadruple checked to make sure all of the bolts are out and they are. It would not be out as far as it is if there were any left in it anyways. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Try tapping around the edges with a rubber mallet LIGHTLY, Might be worth a shot !

Check to see if the gasket is stuck to both the inner and outer case? You do have to pull up on the case evenly (kick starter and water pump side) or the kick starter shaft will bind, while pulling up on the case push down on the kick shaft with your thumb to keep the axle from moving up.

I have been trying to get the right side cover off of my bike. This is usually a routine thing for me and only takes about twenty minutes. Well something is just not right this time around. I cannot get the cover to come off in the corner where the water pump is; it has started to come out slightly but it just will not come out any further and I do not want to break the freakin thing. I have triple and quadruple checked to make sure all of the bolts are out and they are. It would not be out as far as it is if there were any left in it anyways. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Are you sure you didn't forget one case screw?

Are you sure you didn't forget one case screw?

The easy one to forget is the 65mm bolt going through the water pump to the case. Although he did say that the case started to come out slightly which wouldn't happen if that bolt was still in. :smirk:

Thanks for all the replies, yea i have basically tried everything you all have suggested lol. 100% positive all of the bolts are out, dont wont to force anything and break something though. My pops is pretty good with this stuff, gonna have him take a look and see how it goes.

If it doesn't come off straight, it hangs up on the lign up pins. If it's only away from the case 1/8" by the waterpump and a 1/4" by the kick start side, it's binding. Like mentioned. tap it a little with a plastic mallot and put some pressure behind it. There's nothing behind there that you can damage, it's just a cover. If you're 100% sure that all the bolts are out, you're fine and regardless, it has to come off. There's probably some rust on the dowel pins. Once you have it apart, you can cleam them up and grease them so they don't get stuck again. Or just buy some new ones.

Sounds exactly like my situation currently. Gonna give it another try today, like you said its gotta come off, and its kind of ridiculous that I am unable to fix what's behind it becuase I can't get it apart.