Knobs ripping off!

Hey guys, I have a 2000 yz125 and it needs a new back tire. It came with Michelin Starcross tires. They hook up great but the knobs are tearing off. I ride mostly hard pack tracks. What tire do you suggest. I dont mind paying for a good tire but I want it to last.

Thanks

pirelli scorpions out last all the tires i have tried twice as long for me. I have ran most of the dunlop, michelin, bridgestone, and kenda. I resisted switching after the michelin because i was so impressed with the hook up of michelin s or m 12 i kept buying them. Then one day i bought a pirelli xc and they hooked up just as good. Then the tire lasted twice as long. Ive put them on my dads, mine, and sons bikes. Im running the xtra soft and it even lasts longer. I have the mx soft to med and it was unbelieveable how resistant to knob loss after a 3 hour wet rock trail ride i did two weeks ago on my cr125.

I saw your post title "Knobs ripping off!" and immediatly thought to myself "Michelin"

The compound Michelin uses for soft terrain is great, for soft terrain only. If you use it anywhere near a rock or a patch of hardpack, the knobs will jump off the tire and run away scared.

Also, make sure you are running the right amount of air pressure. Too much pressure will have you skidding and tearing off the knobs. For a hardpack track, start with 13 pounds. If it gets rocky and you're fast/aggressive you may have to go to 14-15 pounds to prevent pinch flats. I run as low as 10.5 pounds in typical loam and 12 on the hardpack, but I'm running Bridgestone HD tubes.

The Michelin M12 front tire is great, one of my favorites. I like them in a lot of places because they are predictable, you know when they are going to let go.

The M12 rear isn't so great, it hooks up good n a straight line or in ruts, but if the ground is hard, it skates out of flat turns. It is too agressive on the outside knobs, they should be spaced closer together than the inside knobs, but they are set up more like a soft terrain tire with a medium rubber compound.

No doubt that Bridgestone and Dunlop make some of the best tires.

I love the old D756 on the two stroke, I still have a stack of those so I haven't tried a MX51 or MX71 on a smoker, but I liked them on the four strokes.

If you don't have a lot of money to buy new tires all the time, Maxxis is a good choice. They aren't a Dunlop or Bridgestone for traction, but they can last a little longer. I have a Maxxis on the rear of my older YZ250, and after some hard racing it's still got a little life left.

I haven't done much riding on Pirelli tires, so I can't really say anything good/bad about them.

I saw your post title "Knobs ripping off!" and immediatly thought to myself "Michelin"

The compound Michelin uses for soft terrain is great, for soft terrain only. If you use it anywhere near a rock or a patch of hardpack, the knobs will jump off the tire and run away scared.

Also, make sure you are running the right amount of air pressure. Too much pressure will have you skidding and tearing off the knobs. For a hardpack track, start with 13 pounds. If it gets rocky and you're fast/aggressive you may have to go to 14-15 pounds to prevent pinch flats. I run as low as 10.5 pounds in typical loam and 12 on the hardpack, but I'm running Bridgestone HD tubes.

The Michelin M12 front tire is great, one of my favorites. I like them in a lot of places because they are predictable, you know when they are going to let go.

The M12 rear isn't so great, it hooks up good n a straight line or in ruts, but if the ground is hard, it skates out of flat turns. It is too agressive on the outside knobs, they should be spaced closer together than the inside knobs, but they are set up more like a soft terrain tire with a medium rubber compound.

No doubt that Bridgestone and Dunlop make some of the best tires.

I love the old D756 on the two stroke, I still have a stack of those so I haven't tried a MX51 or MX71 on a smoker, but I liked them on the four strokes.

If you don't have a lot of money to buy new tires all the time, Maxxis is a good choice. They aren't a Dunlop or Bridgestone for traction, but they can last a little longer. I have a Maxxis on the rear of my older YZ250, and after some hard racing it's still got a little life left.

I haven't done much riding on Pirelli tires, so I can't really say anything good/bad about them.

Exactly the same! I run the m 12 up front also for the same reason. Spot on with the pressure numbers. I know a ton of guys that love the Maxxis tires also. A buddy that lines up on me every race has been running the Maxxis tire right along with my pirelli. Same wear and tear. We just commented the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly the same! I run the m 12 up front also for the same reason. Spot on with the pressure numbers. I know a ton of guys that love the Maxxis tires also. A buddy that lines up on me every race has been running the Maxxis tire right along with my pirelli. Same wear and tear. We just commented the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Can't go wrong with the M12 Front, not a big fan of the rear.

If you don't mind the price try an MX51 if the track is not rock hard. Won't last forever but a great tire while it's good.

Having a 450f I can tell you that thing was a tire shredder! I went through 3 tires in a short Alberta summer and I can say it didn't matter which one I used with the exception of the Pirreli scorpion extras. Very good tire all around and I even studded one up last winter, took them out in the spring and rode it for a couple more months in single track trails and rocky hills.