How hard is it to change fork seals in a 95 KX250

I'm looking at about 130 to change the fork seals on my bike from a local shop. that seems to be about right when I call around. but it sure seems expensive when the parts are only 40... I know my way around a wrench, and bike, but I've never opened up the forks, how hard a job (easy to mess up) is it?

it is very easy i would buy a seal driver though they are about 35-40$ but other than that you need no special tools, might need a impact wrench to remove the cartrage from the bottom of the fork though. i can help wak you thru it if youd like PM me and ill give you my number

I can service a set of those forks in like 30 minutes. lol If the base valve spins you can try compressing the fork a little. Watch this:

although I recommend buying one too, there are a bunch of ways getting around a seal installer. I cut a slit in the old seal and use the old seal as a backup to tap in the new seal. I also have some PVC installers. But if you're going to keep the bike a while you should get an actual seal installer.

Use your ratio rite to measure the fork oil.

One issue you might find on those forks is the spring guide may have expanded and is stuck inside the spring. You need to remove the guide and file down the edges so it slides freely inside the spring.

IMG_0433.jpg

I turned mine down in my lathe, but you can use a file too.

IMG_0436.jpg

Edited by Jeekinz

Thanks to both of you guys. I think I'm just going to try and do it myself. sounds easy enough. any advise on oil weight? I'm about 180, do the standard weekend warrior track and trails, probably more track than trails. Since I've never done this before I have no idea what to use as a baseline besides what's in the manuel.

Just make sure when you pour the fluid in there you slowly compress and decompress your forks till you get all the air bubbles out if you still have questions my offer still stands its pretty self explanitory tho.

Just make sure when you pour the fluid in there you slowly compress and decompress your forks till you get all the air bubbles out if you still have questions my offer still stands its pretty self explanitory tho.

Thanks, I'll definately be sending you a PM if I get into it and can't figure something out. I don't have internet at the house, so hopefully they've worked out all the bugs on the iphone version so I can actually get to the PM. lol

Edited by rarice1980

the ratio cup is good like jeekins suggests. i have the needle to make sure i have the correct amount of oil in both sides. i wright down the numbers and when i need to add, makes adding easy or subtracting if i have to.

I never used the cup..I always just set the air gap height(usually with a pre-measuredziptie.. :smirk: ). That needle thingy would be cool to have for afterwards though on open chamber forks..so you can maintain the height is where you set it at...or whenever you have that sudden or temporarily seal leak and you want to see how much fluid you lost without tearing them apart.

the guide hasnt got bigger the spring is wearing out, causing it to twist should replace them before they break

Thanks for all the advice guys. The videos were awesome. got them both changed out, and hit the track saturday, and so far so good. Pretty easy job once you figure it out.