Sign in to follow this  

fuel additives

does anyone use any fuel system additives? was thinking about getting a full system cleaner or two and running them through with my first couple of tanks of gas. do they work or is ethanol and today's gas just too crappy to try and keep anything clean?

I put 100ml of Nulon injector/carb cleaner in at 13,000km - hasn't caused any problems, lol. Not sure if it's helping at all.

I see no need.

Should help prevent the carb and jets getting gummed up?

(which seems to be fairly common on the 400)

No additives for me..I just use ethanol free fuel...

I left my bikes sit for 9 weeks with no storage prep...Cranked the E this morning and took it for a spin today..sweet as..

For countries that don't have a choice may have a need for additives...

I can't give an informed opinion, but noble stated there is no need..He is usually always correct....

Edited by craigodrz400sm

I've been using SeaFoam for quite some time. Used it in a Vulcan for 53,000 miles and it was running strong with no issues when I sold it. I would run a tank full with it in before every oil change. SeaFoam will stabilize the fuel, remove moisture and can remove carbon deposits from the valves and combustion chamber. I don't run the Z every week in the winter, so it gets a dose more often.

-Stan

Marine Sta-bil. I buy the big bottle and treat all my small engine fuel including 4wheelers and MC's. Sometimes on the road you have to get fuel with ethanol in it and this stuff takes care of it.

I've let my DRZ sit the past two winters without any additives, around 4 months at the longest with no problems at all. Tank and carb full of gas with ethenol and whatever other crap is in it.

Bike still fires right up and settles into a nice idle come spring.

I will say that I dont normally recomend this, and I dont treat any of my other bikes with this disrespect. But the DRZ as much as I love it, and keep it in perfect mechanical condition, I just dont really care if I have to throw a new pilot jet in it.

I guess for people who are not so mechanically inclined, and would have to pay a mechanic to figure out why their bike wont run properly it is in their best interest to try and prevent this.

We are just asking for trouble by letting the bike set with E10 or worse it in for any lenght of time. The ethanol brings water into our carbs, not good. The water seperates out while sitting in tanks. Startron prevents phase seperation and stabilizes the fuel for a time. Startron is way cheap insurance compared to dealing with a crapped out fuel system. It's a crap shoot without it....

i drained the tank and the carb of all the gas i could get out of both b4 letting it sit for longer than a week. i was just wondering really about carbon build up. my bike sits it the guarage so it is not exposed to the elements and i was still riding it from time to time a month ago with no issues so hopefully in the spring it will be as easy as putting some new gas in and changing the oil.