Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning surface rust off rims - best way?

Hi everyone,

My son's Honda XR70 has a bit of surface rust on the rims and my neighbor sprayed some WD40 and wiped a section clean. But he said to also use steel wool to rub with and will clean it better. I hear different things on that. I've also read to use aluminum foil instead. I'm sure there are a few pits in the rims. What do you suggest? Use the steel wool? Or will that make it worse in time?

Thanks!

Warren

Once the integrity of the chrome has been broken, then nothing will stop the corrosion and pitting from getting bigger. It really depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike. If it is something that you plan on keeping for a long time, then get new hoops or powdercoat the old ones. Now that you have rust you can clean it but not stop it with out stripping and re-chroming. The plating has been broken. I had a set of hoops powder coated that were beyond pitted and rusted. They came out perfect and never chipped.

Hi everyone,

My son's Honda XR70 has a bit of surface rust on the rims and my neighbor sprayed some WD40 and wiped a section clean. But he said to also use steel wool to rub with and will clean it better. I hear different things on that. I've also read to use aluminum foil instead. I'm sure there are a few pits in the rims. What do you suggest? Use the steel wool? Or will that make it worse in time?

Thanks!

Warren

Use navel jelly to remove the rust. Contains phosporic acid & that will not attack Nickel/chrome plating. There's a very thin layer of Nickel/chrome on that wheel so very fine steel wool will remove the rust but you might slightly scratch the chrome. After rust removal wipe down w/ WD-40 to help seal the pores of the nickel/chrome plate.

Depends on how serious the rust is, on light rust I have had good results with soap pads such as SOS pads, cleans up whitewalls real good too. :smirk: