Sign in to follow this  

Trackmaster II rear flats

I had gotten a flat rear tire in the woods more then once last summer. 2 of the flats were from objects cutting through the tire's carcass between the lugs, and then went through the tube. Each time i still had at least 60% of my tread left. I believe this would rule out things like loose spokes and tire pressure (14psi). The other people i ride with didn't seem to have this problem (none of them were running this tire). Is this just an easier tire to cut through or is it Bad luck?

What pressure were you running and what was the terrain like? Fast, slow, roots, rocks, thorns, etc.?

I was at 14psi each time. It was typical NY / VT terrain with some rocks and roots. Both cuts were near the center of the contact patch. Smallest one was 1/4" and the longer one was 1" long, in between the lugs. I know I had been riding the bike hard, with lots of throttle, so the tire's had a tough job.

Might be time for you to get a terrorflex (terraflex) , check it out if you haven't. They see to be the gnarliest rear you can buy. People will say they are not as gnarly as they used to be, but they are still burlier than any rear I have run.

Yes I have a tereflex,you can even run it flat,they use them to drive over lava out west the owner said lol.140/18 is a perfect fit any larger you will have knobbie problems.

I've been ok with my Trackmaster, also ride in New England. I have heard the Terra ads an inch to your seat height, if that's an issue.

Try a few more lbs 17PSI to keep the tire temperature cooler which will help prevent cuts. If that doesnt work try a Teraflex tire.

They have a steel belt?

Every tire I have ever run has had steel belts. I think pretty much all tires do (not sure about trials though).