Dungey no neck brace.

You make it sound like there was a specific test conducted where they lawn-darted riders over and over again, then they took some other riders and slammed their heads into the ground... then you counted up exactly which bones were broken. I'd like to see that study...

I'm still waiting for conclusive proof that smoking causes cancer, or that alcohol consumption during pregancy harms the baby.

Or even better, is there any conclusive proof that motorcycle boots prevents injuries to your feet and ankles. Or that elbow guards actually protect your elbows. I see people with broken feet and ankles and also with damaged ligaments all the time.... and they all wear all kinds of crap.

I say we ban all safety gear. Its all a bunch of bull crap designed by people who just want to sell us stuff that they can't prove or guarantee will help us.

Point is... if you believe it helps you, then wear it. If you don't believe that,then don't.

I'll ride with you either way...

I make it sound that way? Go read what the &%$#@!in leatt claims it is designed for, COMPRESSION OF THE SPINE. Do I need to draw you a picture of how we compress our spines in crashes? I give you a hint, it doesnt involve the neck turning in any direction ?:bonk:

I was simply stating things that have been reported in response to the dude above who claims they walk on water. Hell what happened to that guy that was on here a year or so ago, the very first day his son wore the leatt he crashed and is paralyed from the neck down, not a scratch on the kid. Impossible to say whos fault it is, but it clearly didnt help. I don't wear one, I make the boy wear his, it is my opinion the Leatt is a POS and the worst design of all of them. People always want to state how the ER doc agreed "without the Leatt we wouldnt be walking after I stubbed my toe". But out of curiosity I asked the ER doc since I wasn't there for a motorcycle related crash what his opinion was and he agreed where it sat on the spine is a problem, in his opinion.

Point is, no one was discussing if people should wear one or not, its a place to throw opinions and personally myself, I wouldn't ride with you cause you lack reading comprehension and stick your nose into shit it dont belong and go way off course

Edited by Towelie

I agree that the leatt is actually slightly flawed in its design. By targeting compression injuries, they designed a product that is too rigid for other kinds of impacts. I use the EVS brace, that is really just a supported neck roll. I have an actual neck injury from getting hit head on by a car at 40mph. The EVS brace reduces the range of motion my neck goes through even without crashing. It's not stiff enough to create a pivot point like the Leatt. My four herniated c-spine discs are much less sore after a day slamming whoops. I have rag dolled several times with it on, and could feel it minimizing neck movement.

I don't think it would prevent a compression injury like the leatt may, but that is a lot less likely to even occur than the normal thrashing about that your head/neck is subject to.

I bet Trey Canard is happy he had his brace on last week though. I'm guessing a back protector would have helped as well. At the end of the day, injuries still happen, but anything that can absorb some of the impact forces wil help. That includes a broken neck brace.

• Like 1

I agree that the leatt is actually slightly flawed in its design. By targeting compression injuries, they designed a product that is too rigid for other kinds of impacts. I use the EVS brace, that is really just a supported neck roll. I have an actual neck injury from getting hit head on by a car at 40mph. The EVS brace reduces the range of motion my neck goes through even without crashing. It's not stiff enough to create a pivot point like the Leatt. My four herniated c-spine discs are much less sore after a day slamming whoops. I have rag dolled several times with it on, and could feel it minimizing neck movement.

I don't think it would prevent a compression injury like the leatt may, but that is a lot less likely to even occur than the normal thrashing about that your head/neck is subject to.

I bet Trey Canard is happy he had his brace on last week though. I'm guessing a back protector would have helped as well. At the end of the day, injuries still happen, but anything that can absorb some of the impact forces wil help. That includes a broken neck brace.

One of the things that bother me about this debate is you are a hundred times more likely to slide in a crash than land on your head. The Leatt being so rigid is subject to snag you and stop the head before the body which will snap the brain stem. Which is why Arai helmets are so smoothe and goofy looking, made with cheap plastics that break away instead of hanging your head up. For how I ride, I want my spine protected more than my neck, I aint hitting 100 footers anymore and there are days I just dont jump cause I am not feeling it. Anyone can break their neck at any time and most that have done it did not have a scratch on them. I look forward to proof of the neck brace being effective at some point until then, run what you brung I guess

Edited by Towelie

It's time for the neck brace manufacturers to get together and come up with some independent regulations for their products. They say they have studies but they are not pubic knowledge, they need to be. You can go on youtube and you can find safety videos showing the HANS device, seat belts and helmets, all important pieces of safety equipment. A neck brace may be a good safety device but there is no proof that they work. Leatt says that they have a testing lab, yet they can't even produce a definitive video showing that their product works? Alpinestars said they worked with cadavers, surely there has to be some proof. There are no videos proving that you can tuck and roll with out injury.

I want the neck brace manufacturers to step up and they don't. It's a war of words, they have the tools at their disposal to prove that their product, beyond a shadow of doubt their product works as claimed, but they don't. Doesn't that piss you off just a little?

There have been several instances where the Leatt was the direct reason for a c6 or c7 break which put the person in a wheel chair due to how to sits on the spine. Local guy here crashed in a corner, with his neck brace on, paralyzed from the chest down. The Leatt seems to be good for one specific type of crash, lawn darting. See above for the rest

Any data ( newspaper article ,,doctor statement, ect) to back up your claim the leatt was the direct reason .your statement is complete nonsense until you back it up with some facts .i would be careful slandering a product with no proof whatsoever.

http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/11/04/neck-protection-let-s-talk-about-it-2/full

"“Chris Leatt has never said the neck brace protects from all injuries,” Patterson commented. “We can’t cover every aspect. [Dr. Leatt’s] design was to protect the cervical spine – in the C section: C1 through C7/8.”

http://www.leatt-brace.com/company/leatt-lab/lab-testing/

Edited by 275-450

http://www.cyclenews...about-it-2/full a November 2009 Article

“Right now Chris Leatt is working with a number of sanctioning bodies, a number of independent agencies to get neck protection to perform to a certain standard,” Patterson said. “In Europe right now, the brace is now CE certified. In the United States, there really is no such thing. But it is working with a number of bodies to solve that problem. There should be a standard.”

In two years, absolutly nothing has been proven in testing!!! That pretty much proves my point, that neck braces don't work and can't pass independent testing.

I make it sound that way? Go read what the &%$#@!in leatt claims it is designed for, COMPRESSION OF THE SPINE. Do I need to draw you a picture of how we compress our spines in crashes? I give you a hint, it doesnt involve the neck turning in any direction ?:bonk:

I was simply stating things that have been reported in response to the dude above who claims they walk on water. Hell what happened to that guy that was on here a year or so ago, the very first day his son wore the leatt he crashed and is paralyed from the neck down, not a scratch on the kid. Impossible to say whos fault it is, but it clearly didnt help. I don't wear one, I make the boy wear his, it is my opinion the Leatt is a POS and the worst design of all of them. People always want to state how the ER doc agreed "without the Leatt we wouldnt be walking after I stubbed my toe". But out of curiosity I asked the ER doc since I wasn't there for a motorcycle related crash what his opinion was and he agreed where it sat on the spine is a problem, in his opinion.

Point is, no one was discussing if people should wear one or not, its a place to throw opinions and personally myself, I wouldn't ride with you cause you lack reading comprehension and stick your nose into shit it dont belong and go way off course

It's ok to be abrasive and opinionated, but at least get your facts straight about the leatt. It has been designed and tested to protect against flexion, extension, side bending of the neck, as well as compression. If you can actually read, take a look at the testing which has been done. Everyone can choose to wear one or not, but they shouldn't make a decision based upon uniformed, unsupported opinion presented as fact.

So you don't wear one but you make your kid wear one?

Any data ( newspaper article ,,doctor statement, ect) to back up your claim the leatt was the direct reason .your statement is complete nonsense until you back it up with some facts .i would be careful slandering a product with no proof whatsoever.

http://www.cyclenews...about-it-2/full

"“Chris Leatt has never said the neck brace protects from all injuries,” Patterson commented. “We can’t cover every aspect. [Dr. Leatt’s] design was to protect the cervical spine – in the C section: C1 through C7/8.”

http://www.leatt-bra...ab/lab-testing/

I see we have another who lacks the very basics of reading comprehension ? . Why dont you go back and read it, reread it till you get it right. You know whats evern funnier about your ignorant statement? You aint got nothing to back up shit either!

Edited by Towelie

I don't know if the LEATT is safe or not safe, a good idea or a bad idea..... I don't care if someone wears one or doesn't wear one. All I know is this, for the price of the unit (LEATT, Alpinestar or what ever else) it should at least be tested as "proven" safety measure to "reduce" risk of serious injury. I think at the $$$ they charge the public to buy one, yeah....they can afford the testing and so can Alpinestar. To say they are waiting for "someone" to flip the bill to pay for this is absurd. Companies do this with helmets, why not neck braces? Otherwise I for one will put my money into a $500 dollar helmet that is certified rather than something that isn't "proven". I have to work for my money. Just sayin......

It's ok to be abrasive and opinionated, but at least get your facts straight about the leatt. It has been designed and tested to protect against flexion, extension, side bending of the neck, as well as compression. If you can actually read, take a look at the testing which has been done. Everyone can choose to wear one or not, but they shouldn't make a decision based upon uniformed, unsupported opinion presented as fact.

Talk about a giant facepalm, there is NO TESTING, thats the problem ? Leatt didnt test shit mouth of wisdom. Go get your facts straight before you misinform the public..............

So you don't wear one but you make your kid wear one?

+1

" the very first day his son wore the leatt he crashed and is paralyed from the neck down"

"Leatt is a POS and the worst design of all of them."

"The Leatt being so rigid is subject to snag you and stop the head before the body which will snap the brain stem."

"there is NO TESTING, thats the problem ? Leatt didnt test shit."

All that, Towelie, and you still put one on your kid?! Holy crap, what a hypocrite...

• Like 1

I make it sound that way? Go read what the &%$#@!in leatt claims it is designed for, COMPRESSION OF THE SPINE. Do I need to draw you a picture of how we compress our spines in crashes? I give you a hint, it doesnt involve the neck turning in any direction??

Wow... why so angry? You've given me (and everyone else) a bunch of your opinions. But... they are just that... your opinion.

As a matter of fact, I would definitely like for you to draw me a picture of how the spine compresses in crashes. More importantly, why don't you give me your full resume. I might add a little credence to your bullshit. Surely, your credentials and pedigrees must be top notch... or are you hanging your hat on a conversation you had with some random ER doc while you where there for some other reason?

So... get out your crayons, draw us all a picture as to why the leatt is ineffective... and how its design does nothing to guarantee the complete elimination of all neck and spinal injuries.

Oh... what did you mean when you said " I don't wear one, I make the boy wear his, it is my opinion the Leatt is a POS and the worst design of all of them."? This statement is very strange, but at the same time, is consistent with your other ramblings in that it simply makes no damn sense! Or maybe your are testing it on your boy :bonk:

wait... it looks like Leatt does do some testing.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/company/leatt-lab/lab-testing/

http://www.leatt-brace.com/images/uploads/accident_form/Injury_Stats.pdf

Edited by mauricedorris
  • Like 1

+1

" the very first day his son wore the leatt he crashed and is paralyed from the neck down"

"Leatt is a POS and the worst design of all of them."

"The Leatt being so rigid is subject to snag you and stop the head before the body which will snap the brain stem."

"there is NO TESTING, thats the problem ? Leatt didnt test shit."

All that, Towelie, and you still put one on your kid?! Holy crap, what a hypocrite...

My kid does not rock the Leatt and never will