Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MCRIPPPer

just wound my xr100 stator!

16 posts in this topic

hey guys. just wanted to let you know how easy it is to wind these stators. it can save you some big bux. all up cost was around 50 dollars. if comparing to a stator sold on line, a home done stator will save you loads of $$$$$ if you can do some simple soldering.

cost = $5 for wire plus cost of reg.- headlight.

getting a stator wound = at leas $75 + cost of reg and headlight.

first i had to pull the flywheel. this was the hardest part. it is really on there tight!

then unbolt the pulse coil(on a 2002 xr100 it is one alen head bolt) and unbolt the stator itself.

then i had to unsolder a wire which joined the ignition power coil and the wiring harness. it snakes behind some of the poles you need to wind. as long as you remember where it connects and remember to put it back on after winding, you will be ok. i had to get a slightly longer chunk of wire to connect it after the windings were in place.

once it was all wound, i pulled one of the pink wires out and replaced it with a 16 awg wire.

i now get 18v no loat at idle, and 140+v revved no load. it can run a 55w automotive bulb at idle quite brightly. i still need to measure voltage with load.

if you want pix and you can look at the roll your own headlight coil page on the internet. if you google it its easy to find. it is what inspired me to roll my own stator!

now i just need to find a good headlight that wont look too dorky on my little xr. do you guys think a polisport headlight would look good on a 2002?

just checked voltage under load. 10vac at idle with the high beam on the car bulb (60w) !!!!!!!!!! not bad. with a standard 35/35 bulb it will have exess power.

65 turns per pole with 20awg seems to be perfect for running a headlight without dragging the motor too much. if you want more lights, you might want to go to 18 awg and wind some more turns.

i got it on amizon .com since i had a gift certificate there. im pretty sure it is from marvac electronics.

you can get it at pretty much any electronics store. i got 1/4 lb roll. 1/4 lb is cutting it pretty close as i only had a little wire left at the end!

i just want to correct/ clarify one thing on that page. the flywheel nut is not left hand!! it is right hand/normal thread. the flywheel puller is left hand.

Edited by MCRIPPPer

It's very rewarding doing something like this yourself.

I re-wound stator coils, always worked well and saved money or fixed a bike I couldn't get the part for.

I found the info online.

Good job!!

no problem. the only (semi special) tools you need are a flywheel puller, soldering iron, and some solder. (plus basic wrenches and that kinda thing)

What guage of wire did you use MCRIPPPer? My local supply store only has 16 or 20, not 18 guage like used in the instructions. Could I get away with 16 guage and a few less turns?

i actually used 20 gauge. it hasn't burned up yet lol. 20 wag seemed to fit nicely, and its not like this thing is carrying insane amperage.

you could use larger wire with fewer turns, but it won't put out enough power at idle to give nice light. even the recommended turns dims at idle, with a 50w light. you can always do a double strand coil. put two strands and wrap them at the same time. wire the two together to basically make a single conductor. i would recommend using 20 and putting more turns on.

i actually used 20 gauge. it hasn't burned up yet lol. 20 wag seemed to fit nicely, and its not like this thing is carrying insane amperage.

you could use larger wire with fewer turns, but it won't put out enough power at idle to give nice light. even the recommended turns dims at idle, with a 50w light. you can always do a double strand coil. put two strands and wrap them at the same time. wire the two together to basically make a single conductor. i would recommend using 20 and putting more turns on.

How many turns did you do with the 20 guage?

im not exactly sure. i think i put the recommended amount by the "roll your own stator" page. i wish i put some more on, but i had just enough wire on a 1/4 lb spool.

How many more do you recall you could've fit on the poles over the instructed 65 turns? Just a guestimate would be nice :)

6 years later this beast is still cranking out 100w! 

2 people like this