Sign in to follow this  

125LE how do i replace the electric starter?

Hi. Single mom here, just bought the kids a 2005 125LE for $500. Kick starts fine, but the elec start doesn't work. Id like to fix or replace it myself but im not sure where to start or if this might me above my skill level. ANy help or direction will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I'd start with the basics first.

1. Make sure the battery is charged and in good condition.

2. Check starter button and wiring to starter for continuity. <---Super easy to do with a multi-meter.

BBR is heading you in the right direction. Also, you might want to consider rejetting the bike. This has nothing to do with the electric start, but if the bike takes a long time to crank and warm up you might want to consider this.

Edited by Dirt Bike Crazy

Thanks to both. I will check those things and probably rejet at some point. The po said he thinks its the starter or idler gear which doesn't mean anything to me yet but i will read up on both of those possibilities. Bike runs great, but id like to get the elec starter fixed, I think it would be easier on my daughter....and me too. If I can't do it myself....does it have the potential to be a very expensive job? IF it is....is it something I can teach myself? Thanks again.

Has the bike sat a lot before you bought it? If it has I can almost guarantee it is the battery. These battery's go dead quick! The ttr 125's are great bikes if kept properly. Good luck

I swapped it out with a known good batter from my other ttr, and no luck. I'm just not familiar enough with electric start to know where to start and I haven't found any good step by step trouble shooting guides yet, but I will keep searching. I was hoping it was a plug and play component like the ignition wire etc, but as I read more I'm realizing that's not the case.

Question though....if its the idlers gear, will I damage anything by kickstarting the bike and riding it? Thanks for all the help.

Start with downloading a service manual from here:

ymenvom.nl/manuals/M1B280.PDF

It has a section on electrical that should be very helpful.

Good luck!

Here is what I would do, remove the battery, wrap electrical tape around connections, ride it. Replacing the cdi on this thing with stock is $$$. $150. (not that that's the problem) It could be the starter, wires shorted, the switch. What happens when you press the electric start? Personally I would just kick start it.

Edited by Dirt Bike Crazy

Yes it starts and engages. I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything by just kickstarting it and riding it. It's my only bike that has e-start...so I don't know much about it.I will download the manual...thank you I've been looking on amazon for one.

You can test the starter directly by getting jumper cables and hooking to your car battery (car engine OFF!) and then putting the negative clamp on the exhaust pipe and the positive clamp directly to the starter. Put it on the nut where the big cable connects to the starter. If the starter turns then there's a problem in the bikes wiring somewhere.

Edited by DDACT

While you're in there looking at that big nut, remove it and clean the post. It's in an excellent spot to collect all sorts of crap and corrosion. Any sort of brush will do.

Also, while you're looking at the battery, make absolutely sure the bike is in neutral, then stick a large screw driver or a big piece of wire across the two terminals of the starter solenoid.

This is actually a TT-R225 and the wiring is a complete mess, but the set up is similar enough:

IMAGE_00240.jpg

See the big red cable and the nut with the wrench on it? See the rubber boot next to the wrench? Under that is another nut. The first one has a wire that goes to the battery, the second has one that goes to the starter.

This is the solenoid, it's the switch that actually engages your starter. The switch on the handle bar engages this solenoid. This is so they don't need to run big fat wires all the way to the switch on the handle bars.

Put your screw driver between those two nuts and see if it cranks over. It will spark if the battery is good and the starter is in ok shape. If it does, that means everything between that second nut and the starter is OK enough to turn the bike over.

If it does turn over, I'd try cleaning the switch on the handle bars and any contacts you can find on the solenoid (slightly different from the photo).

If it does not turn over, clean the contacts on the starter, the solenoid and the battery and try again. If it still won't turn over, it's probably a bad starter, but it should be tested off the bike before it's replaced.

Edited by Smacaroni

Thanks for all the help. I did most of the stuff recommended....but for now, I'm just kick starting it. I'll learn more piece by piece, just like I did the carbs and jetting.

Did you ever get this fixed? Where abouts in Cali are you? The very first thing to is check the fuse, then do all the stuff people are suggesting.