Sign in to follow this  

2009 Cam Chain Tensioner Orientation

Which way does the tensioner go into the cylinder on my 09 KX250F? The end has an elbow on in it which is facing up. This way the grooves are facing up as well. But I can't exactly remember which way it goes, both ways seems to work.

Additionally, is it possible that valve clearances can change after a cam chain replacement? I just freshened up my top end and now the valve shims that were originally in spec are not in spec anymore. I don't believe I mixed them up but I suppose I could have. The description on the shims have worn away and I don't have a micrometer.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, but accurate micrometer? I need to get back on base so I can get proper clearances.

:smirk:

Thanks for the help guys.

Okay, according to the Team Green Valve Clearance article in the FAQ thread...(which I can't figure out how to link on this new format)... it states the stopper on the tensioner should be facing up, which I thought was correct.

Yet, after reading the same article, I noticed they check the valve clearances without the tensioner installed. Is this correct? I have always checked my valves with tension on the cam chain.

Edited by pCp 450

The tensioner should be in to keep the cams at the correct poiotion while the piston is at top dead center. Make sure you are at top dead center when measuring the clearance. Your timing may be off a tooth and that will give you an off reading. If the cam is slightly in the wrong position your readings will not be right.

Okay, according to the Team Green Valve Clearance article in the FAQ thread...(which I can't figure out how to link on this new format)... it states the stopper on the tensioner should be facing up, which I thought was correct.

Yet, after reading the same article, I noticed they check the valve clearances without the tensioner installed. Is this correct? I have always checked my valves with tension on the cam chain.

It's not you. There is a conflict going on between two functions for the sake for simplicity. It's already being addressed. It has nothing to do with how to link. It's just like always: just copy/paste the URL or link text using the "link" button. Thx for reporting. We're on it!

Actually, just replaced the rings, wrist pin, and cam chain. The PC piston and PC Ti Valve Train was well in spec and performed great for two seasons. However, the cam chain was pretty stretched so I'm glad I went through the effort to rebuild. Obviously if I had replaced the valves I would expect to re-shim. Tomorrow I will look for a micrometer.

There are some very cheap yet accurate digital calipers on eBay. They are made in China, if that is an issue for you, but do the job at the right price. They are typically under $10.00 and shipped free.

Chris

It's not you. There is a conflict going on between two functions for the sake for simplicity. It's already being addressed. It has nothing to do with how to link. It's just like always: just copy/paste the URL or link text using the "link" button. Thx for reporting. We're on it!

Fixed a couple of days ago, if anyone cares to know. :smirk: