Sign in to follow this  

Help me get my 2009 KTM 250sx dialed in thread!

Hey guys, I am almost to the point of being able to ride my "new to me" '09 250sx. I pretty much took a test ride and then ripped it apart when I got home. I dont trust my life to the PO's set up and maintenance, or lack of!

It runs REALLY strong. much better and way crisper off the bottom than my previous '02 250sx. I just installed new tires (Motosport Artrax Pro-Moto's) in the stock size. Checked the bike over from top to bottom. Replaced the broken, and then rewelded by a team of blind crack monkeys, subframe. Replaced the cracked front pipe with a new FMF Fatty moto, swapped in a fresh set of Vforce3 reeds, new twin air filter, Leo Vince X3 silencer, stock clutch, fluids & a full nut & bolt check etc etc.

I still need to repair the leaking fork seals. Didnt leak until after I got it home..grrrr. The suspension has been done for a B rider @ 220lb by MotoWorks (I am 225-230). Not sure on the spring rates but they are FC (orange). It didnt come with the manual and the seller said he would send it when he got home.. (its been radio silence since we parted ways) but I doubt I'll be seeing that. I need to find what the sag and stock settings are suppose to be and go from there.

I have the forks on the top line, 3c set to 20mm. Like I said, I am just getting started. :smirk:

Advice is welcome!

Edited by Bonestock07

Hey, sounds just like my situation.

I got mine a little while ago, but I am in NY so its too cold to ride.

I tore the motor apart and found that the o-ring under the crank spacer was missing and that caused a lot of oil in the top end.

The power valve had a pretty thick layer of carbon, its clean now.

New crank, new seals, new topend and V-force 4 reeds and a FMF fatty w/Ti power core silencer and it should be rocking now.

I need to have my suspension set to my weight though, its set up for a 225# rider and I am 165.

Contact your local KTM dealer and have em get you the repair manual on disc,if i remember right thier about $20 and worth every cent.It will show everything and how to tear down and re build and proper spec's like torque setting's and such.Sound's like it's gonna be like new when your done.....Well done!!

My radiators, while they dont leak (yet), are mangled. I can get new OEM ones from MotoSport for about $380 but there are some ebay aka china-bay ones for $150. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-alloy-radiator-KTM-125-200-250-300-SX-EXC-MXC-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-/120752743542?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c1d6ca476

If your rads need a little work, send them to Mylar's. They can do wonders with damaged rads, and they reinforce typical failure points. As I recall, the price is about $70, and the turnaround is really fast. I would fix the stockers before using aftermarket parts for rads. Obviously you want to fix your fork seals properly, but have you tried the seal clean-out trick using a business or insurance card? It normally works, and can get you out for a ride. I'm sure someone on this site has posted pictures if you are not familiar with the technique. Or you can just buy the motion pro seal saver for a few bucks.

For set-up help, we need to know the intended use of the bike (track, trail, harescramble, etc)...

Edited by rpt50

Here is what I have done to my 09 SX for use in harescramble racing and trail riding. I rarely venture onto an MX track these days.

1. "Soft" jetting (a little rich)

2. yellow or green spring with varying preload, depending on conditions

3. stock pipe with FMF turbine core silencer/spark arrestor

4. suspension revalve and respring (progressive wound on rear) by KTM world

5. FWW - usually a primary mod on my bikes, but these KTMs are pretty smooth stock. Adding the FWW had a lot less effect on this bike than other bikes I've had.

6. G2 Throttle cam (400 cam-keeps the bike from spitting you off in the trees when you are exhausted at the end of a 2 hour HS)

7. soft ignition setting (I have the switch, but I normally leave it on soft)

8 Scotts steering damper

9. 18" wheel (the stock 19 was destroyed in a race. I got a great deal on the 18, and it allows me to run a trials tire)

I've had a lot of success racing this bike, and I really like it. If I had to rank the mods in importance, it would go like this:

1. suspension revalve (absolutely essential)

2 Trials tire (an acquired taste for sure, but I love it now)

3. Scotts damper (at least for my set-up, absolutely essential. I've never used one before on other bikes, but this bike scared the crap out of me in high speed sections)

4. G2 throttle cam (excellent product)

Thanks for the input. I too have the G2 and I love it. I run the middle cam. Much less wiskey throttle situations!

Well my parts should arrive tomorrow. I have a bunch of goodies coming! Leo VInce X3 silencer (the new version), replacement subframe, ProX fork seals & wipers, fork oil, oil level tool, seal driver, cap tool & a few other odds and ends. I can wait to hit the track!

I am hoping that replacing the fork seals shouldnt be difficult since I have all the special tools required. Anyone know what the fork oil hieght is supposed to be? It would be much easier if they just said add X amount of oil per leg!

Here is what I have done to my 09 SX for use in harescramble racing and trail riding. I rarely venture onto an MX track these days.

1. "Soft" jetting (a little rich)

2. yellow or green spring with varying preload, depending on conditions

3. stock pipe with FMF turbine core silencer/spark arrestor

4. suspension revalve and respring (progressive wound on rear) by KTM world

5. FWW - usually a primary mod on my bikes, but these KTMs are pretty smooth stock. Adding the FWW had a lot less effect on this bike than other bikes I've had.

6. G2 Throttle cam (400 cam-keeps the bike from spitting you off in the trees when you are exhausted at the end of a 2 hour HS)

7. soft ignition setting (I have the switch, but I normally leave it on soft)

8 Scotts steering damper

9. 18" wheel (the stock 19 was destroyed in a race. I got a great deal on the 18, and it allows me to run a trials tire)

I've had a lot of success racing this bike, and I really like it. If I had to rank the mods in importance, it would go like this:

1. suspension revalve (absolutely essential)

2 Trials tire (an acquired taste for sure, but I love it now)

3. Scotts damper (at least for my set-up, absolutely essential. I've never used one before on other bikes, but this bike scared the crap out of me in high speed sections)

4. G2 throttle cam (excellent product)

How do you like your KTM World suspension?

Uh oh! What in the hell kinda forks are these? There isnt a spring under the rebound adj cap, its a bladder. I assume the spings are in the fork legs?

Hey guys perfect time for this thread! my 09 Sx 250 is also under some surgery!!

Being from NJ its been fairly warm for this time of year and want to go out and ride but she needs to be set up first. I just replaced the gasket on the clutch side of the engine case( right behind the starter it was leaking.... I have ran it yett... hoping for the best) noticed that most ofthe bolts on the case were not too snugg so i put some blue lock tite on them.

Suspension was set up for PO who had it set up with PDS 6 (sbw #6/265 is printed on spring) im not sure what the rate of that is... and the forks are set up to 4.6N/mm

I weight 170 w/o gear so on the MX- tech site i used the weight of 180 with gear so use their estimated set up calculator...

Recommended Spring Rates: spacer.gif Fork: 0.43 kg/mm spacer.gif Shock: 7.1 kg/mm

If anyone is going to need one of my springs let my know the suspension was done by Mxtech last march and im goingto need new springs most likely for myself. Cycle Pro Racing is the shop I am looking into going...

One more thing....

Took a road trip south for a week of riding with the guys and ended up with the engine case leak, and hte PC platinuim2 pipe ended up blowing a whole out of it!!!! about the size of 2 quarters... PC is replacing it for free this 1 time since it "wasn't under warranty" next time i think i might go with FMF if you guys recomend let me know

Thanks again guys and good luck with the Bikes!!! will post pictures as she progresses

Well my parts should arrive tomorrow. I have a bunch of goodies coming! Leo VInce X3 silencer (the new version), replacement subframe, ProX fork seals & wipers, fork oil, oil level tool, seal driver, cap tool & a few other odds and ends. I can wait to hit the track!

I am hoping that replacing the fork seals shouldnt be difficult since I have all the special tools required. Anyone know what the fork oil hieght is supposed to be? It would be much easier if they just said add X amount of oil per leg!

If your spring rate is 4.6N/mm like mine currently,, Mxtech has written on reciept for woods set up ..

Comp: 14

REB: 19

Spring RT: 4.6N/mm

Oil Level: 350

One fork seal finished, one to go. This aint so bad! I just wish I would have bought the cap tool (the HUGE cap, not the one with the bleeder screws).

Thanks to GMOSS and youtube! LOL

My new Leo Vince X3 is a work of art I tell ya! FAN-FREAKIN'-TASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mounting it was a PITA, the carbon fiber hangers are a love/hate deal. I love to look at them, but damn if they aint fiddily to mount!

I'm just a sissy. I scared the crap outta myself tonight dealing with the fork seals. I popped off the comp adjuster cap thinking I'd find the spring & rod attached to it like my old '02 250sx. Nope, a black bladder instead. After a panic call to Garret aka GMOSS he calmed me down a bit and was like, "you got this man. Its easy"!..... Hmmm OK! "Call me if you need my help". So I found a vid on youtube from RMATV showing the type of fork I have and follwed along. 1st side.. about 2hrs. 2nd, about 15 min. EASY PEASY! My bike is finally ready to ride since I first bought it. Lets hope the shake down run is a good 'un!

Changes:

New lower fork guards

New seals and fork oil

New tires

Wheels trued (this was a real PITA!)

Full nut & bolt check

Used subframe.. garabage.. I am NOT happy about this junk I bought off KTMTalk.. I should of just bought a new one. :lol:

New FMF fatty moto

New Leo Vince X3

New slip joint for the exhaust (from a Banshee.. hey atleast the yamaha dealer tried to help.. and it works!)

New Pillow Top grips

All new fluids... brake, clutch coolant everything

New air filter

New back half of the air box (mine was cracked)

New KTM speed bleeders

ProTaper handle bar pad (from old bike)

Moose BB's (old bike)

Sunline Ti shift lever

Added a fuel filter to the line

Next:

New Radiators & guards

All new plastics and graphics

New KTM subframe

Ankle saver pegs (I case often.. and aint afraid to admit it!)

Flexx bars

Levers.. .mine wobble a bit in the perch

Power now... I wish the one from my old bike fit.. I just havent tried it. best $$ I ever spent!

New seat.. mine was pulled so tight it actually bend the back up an inch! (see pics)

New rims & MX31 tires.. I hate black wheels

I think thats about it. :smirk:

monstertruck090.jpg

X3, so pretty I wanna LICK IT! :bonk:

monstertruck089.jpg

The X3 has such an awesome sound to it.. I cant even describe how fantastic it is! I love how this bike turns!

firstride034.jpg

firstride027.jpg

firstride022.jpg

Very cool. Wish I could jump like that but I am a sissy. LOL

Anyway, some white fenders would look awesome with those graphics. I will be unvieling my B&W bike soon. Having number plates made now and snagged a good deal on a factory graphics kit for the rest of the bike.

Look foward to seeing your bike progress. :smirk:

We think alike. We were just talking about how badass my bike would look in B&W. Seriously!

Dont worry about the jumps... thats the easy part. Its the landings that can be problematic. :smirk:

Imagine...

Whitefenders.jpg

white shrouds, white # plate and black fork guards with black, white, and gray graphics...

• Like 1