Sign in to follow this  

I think I been scammed, need help proving on suspension lowering

In an earlier post http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/936301-need-to-lower-bike-4-how-much-can-i-get-out-of-the-sag-adjustment/ I asked how I can lower suspension? Good answers but the consensus was to lower the bike 4" either wear a really tite jock strap or to get the internals modified. So I paid a guy $750 to lower bike. Said he went down 4". 1 to 1/2" off seat, and either 3 ro 21/2 on suspension. I already paid him so don't dog me there. I'm still on tipy toes and wanted to be flat footed at rest (the more better to foot assist thru terrain when I bogged down).

I'm basically trying to prove how much he lowered bike. Can anyone measure from ground to the top of the seat thru the middle of the N on hoNda to the top of the seat. This is for an 06 crfx that had less than 100 miles. i.e. basically new. No suspension sag? This for me is bold face. I have numbers to compare.

Now here is what he did do: said he put spacers in the front fork (thats the cheap way right?), drilled the clevis pin about 3/4" lower ( I really have no idea exactly what that means, but is it maybe another cheap way of lowering suspension), and, and, shaved the seat. I pulled off the seat and couldn't see signs of re-stapling.

Now when I first got on the bike I said it feels much better. I was ascared to say, its too damn tall. Later, tho I did, say its, like, maybe higher than I'm comfortable with. He said, well we could take more out of the seat. This (oh, lord, suspicious me) makes me feel like he didn't do anything anyway (to the seat), and, as con men might, say if you ok with that, then we are done.

And, for you psychchologist/450 riders how can I approach the need for re-lowering without p.o. ing the guy?

can you post a pic of the seat on the bike.....might be able to tell if its been shaved.

Suspension guys, at least the ones i have dealt with (precision concepts and m & m offroad) want their customers to be happy and would make any changes at no extra charge.

Suspension guys, at least the ones i have dealt with (precision concepts and m & m offroad) want their customers to be happy and would make any changes at no extra charge.

X2, If you're not happy take it back.

In an earlier post http://www.thumperta...sag-adjustment/ I asked how I can lower suspension? Good answers but the consensus was to lower the bike 4" either wear a really tite jock strap or to get the internals modified. So I paid a guy $750 to lower bike. Said he went down 4". 1 to 1/2" off seat, and either 3 ro 21/2 on suspension. I already paid him so don't dog me there. I'm still on tipy toes and wanted to be flat footed at rest (the more better to foot assist thru terrain when I bogged down).

I'm basically trying to prove how much he lowered bike. Can anyone measure from ground to the top of the seat thru the middle of the N on hoNda to the top of the seat. This is for an 06 crfx that had less than 100 miles. i.e. basically new. No suspension sag? This for me is bold face. I have numbers to compare.

Now here is what he did do: said he put spacers in the front fork (thats the cheap way right?), drilled the clevis pin about 3/4" lower ( I really have no idea exactly what that means, but is it maybe another cheap way of lowering suspension), and, and, shaved the seat. I pulled off the seat and couldn't see signs of re-stapling.

Now when I first got on the bike I said it feels much better. I was ascared to say, its too damn tall. Later, tho I did, say its, like, maybe higher than I'm comfortable with. He said, well we could take more out of the seat. This (oh, lord, suspicious me) makes me feel like he didn't do anything anyway (to the seat), and, as con men might, say if you ok with that, then we are done.

And, for you psychchologist/450 riders how can I approach the need for re-lowering without p.o. ing the guy?

Internal spacers and ideally a revalve for your weight and setup is the correct way. I don't understand "drilling the clevis" he should have stripped the rear shock and put a spacer in there as well. Don't need to modify the clevis at all.

You should ask for a detailed description of exactly what they did because at the moment it doesn't sound good.

$750 is very strong money. For that I would have guessed that you could have sent it to any of the major well known suspension companies and got it lowered, revalved etc. etc. I'm not in the US though so I may be wrong on pricing.

Also - don't be too ambitious with your lowering. You dont' need to "flat foot" - tip toes is all most people manage. I'm a short-ars3 and with a nice durelle seat and an 1.5 inch out of the suspension it's great. You need to ride for a while, get used to the bike and then decide how much you need it lowered.

Internal spacers and ideally a revalve for your weight and setup is the correct way. I don't understand "drilling the clevis" he should have stripped the rear shock and put a spacer in there as well. Don't need to modify the clevis at all.

You should ask for a detailed description of exactly what they did because at the moment it doesn't sound good.

$750 is very strong money. For that I would have guessed that you could have sent it to any of the major well known suspension companies and got it lowered, revalved etc. etc. I'm not in the US though so I may be wrong on pricing.

Also - don't be too ambitious with your lowering. You dont' need to "flat foot" - tip toes is all most people manage. I'm a short-ars3 and with a nice durelle seat and an 1.5 inch out of the suspension it's great. You need to ride for a while, get used to the bike and then decide how much you need it lowered.

Exactly. Drilling out linkage parts to gain less height could be a safely issue!

Flat footed ness is really not something you should be focusing on.....

Thanks all. How do I add an image?

- upload image to off-site storage (vimeo, photobucket, etc)

- copy 'direct link' of image

- open 'image' icon (the little photo above)

- paste link

That seat is bone stock.

That bike looks 4" lower to me.

I agree.

I also think whatever you (or the "suspension guy")did to the bike prolly ruined the handling.

For a whole hell of a lot less you could have used a Kouba link, and even then the handling is affected.

I look forward to all the posts about how shitty the bike handles now.

It looks like you could bottom those forks out just getting to the trail head, lol

I'd assume the same would go for strapping it down in the truck.

I also agree that the seat it stock.

Edited by s10rick

That thing is going to be swaping out all over the place in the whoops, actually is it going to be swaping out all over the place period. Not to mention bottom out like a madman.

P.S. Careful on rocky uphills, the second that rear tire hooks up on a rock you getting bucked off.

Your best best bet is going to be taking it back to stock, and shaving the seat if you just HAVE to have it lowered.I am 5 11 and have to tip toe a little, I wouldnt dare mess with the geometry of the bike.

measure from the ground to the bottom of frame rail under motor ! and let us know . it looks lower to me the measurement will tell . seat looks stock to me though .

stock ground clearance is about 13 inches ... my 05 450x has 11" ground clearance i lowered it by fork and shock spacers .

I agree.

I also think whatever you (or the "suspension guy")did to the bike prolly ruined the handling.

For a whole hell of a lot less you could have used a Kouba link, and even then the handling is affected.

I look forward to all the posts about how shitty the bike handles now.

Done properly, (i.e internal spacers and revalve) the handling will be absolutely fine.

Kouba links are cheap and will affect the handling but possibly fine depending on how you will be using the bike i.e leisure or racing

The best first step is a low seat pad. I use the Durelle gel seat which takes out about an inch or so and is very comfortable. Only about $100 as well.

Ground clearance to bottom of frame thru center of engine is 9 7/8"

So how do I get to be Jeff Ward's heigth? I'm 5'9"?

As far as handling, I guess I'll never know. I lowered it before dirt riding because I'm ascared of heights.

I think its safe to say he lowered it at least 3 inches ! I would say he did what you asked him to do .