Sign in to follow this  

Mx or Enduro bike

So tonight I was having a talk with my brother and this conversation came up. There are many guys (including me) who buy an MX bike and tune it to their preference and use it for enduro. They tune suspension, buy flywheel weight, etc. My brother says it's stupid to do that instead of rather buying a straight up enduro bike. I think it's all about preference, I like the lightweight of the 2stroke and find it real fun, however If I were to buy a new bike I might get a 300exc which is already set for enduro.

So, why do you guys buy a MX bike (smoker or thumper) for offroad instead of buying a straight up enduro bike?

More power. Less weight (biggest factor imo...hard to lose 20-30lbs). Better suspension stock.

What he said.

CoKTM

More power. Less weight (biggest factor imo...hard to lose 20-30lbs). Better suspension stock.

Almost forgot cheaper to pick up used.....many more to choose from.

Dito. I am with the set it up to your likeing and taste. I have two CRFs that are set up for CC/HS and enduro racing. Most parts and accesories cost less for MX bikes than Enduro bikes due to the fact that there are more MX bikes out in the market than true enduro. I would speculate they are easier to resale.

for the most part if you get a wr/crfx they are a trail bike not a race bike. get a jap mx bike and add what you want to make it race ready for the trail. it depends on how you want to start with your conversion. ktm/gasgas/beta/husky for a off road bike that is already "race ready". no matter what you buy you have to make adjustments and mods to suit your riding style and terrain.

for example if an sxf is $1500 less than an xc, are the extras worth that much to you?

It really depends. If you ride 2 strokes. You can buy a KTM/GasGas/Husky that is set up for woods better than a MX 2 stroke will ever be. Trust me.. Me and my riding buddy (B and A Class offroad racers respectively) rode YZ250's set up for offroad for years. now I'm on a GasGas 300 and hes on a KTM 200(soon to get a 250) and both of us are like what the hell were we thinking. They just blow away the best setup we could ever get on the YZ's. The handling/frame geometry and power delievery are just so much better...not to mention the engineering is superior. Everytime we take something apart we are wondering why other bikes would do it any other way. Now with 4 strokes i can see the argument to use a MX bike....since crfx and wr's blow..ive ridden them...and i could never race one. But that said I think 450f's are horrible for offroad(atleast in the tight nasty trails i ride and race in), a 250f isnt too bad though. But theirs still KTM/Beta/Husaberg/Husky for options...but i dont have enought experince with their 4 strokes to talk.

It really depends. If you ride 2 strokes. You can buy a KTM/GasGas/Husky that is set up for woods better than a MX 2 stroke will ever be. Trust me.. Me and my riding buddy (B and A Class offroad racers respectively) rode YZ250's set up for offroad for years. now I'm on a GasGas 300 and hes on a KTM 200(soon to get a 250) and both of us are like what the hell were we thinking. They just blow away the best setup we could ever get on the YZ's. The handling/frame geometry and power delievery are just so much better...not to mention the engineering is superior. Everytime we take something apart we are wondering why other bikes would do it any other way. Now with 4 strokes i can see the argument to use a MX bike....since crfx and wr's blow..ive ridden them...and i could never race one. But that said I think 450f's are horrible for offroad(atleast in the tight nasty trails i ride and race in), a 250f isnt too bad though. But theirs still KTM/Beta/Husaberg/Husky for options...but i dont have enought experince with their 4 strokes to talk.

:smirk: This is a great answer! I used to do the mx to enduro conversions, and comparing a full blown mx bike to a wr/crf-x really isn't fair. The wr/crf-x bikes still need work to convert them into something competitive. I would buy a mx bike, and spend countless hours and a good amount of money to convert them into something that would work for me. Then I did the smart thing, I bought something that was meant to be ridden in the woods, bone stock. Ok, so I had a 2005 honda CRF 450R, spent a bunch to get it in the woods and working correctly (but never did, considering that I'm not a pro), and after all was said and done, the thing was heavier than my current ride (04-06 Husaberg FE 450) and my current ride has electric start and all that fun stuff.

Have you ever raced a harescramble where you had to stand on the right side of the bike? The guys who are on MX bikes are just beginning their first kick by the time the guys on the KTMs are 15 yards down the line. Hell I have even seen a guy on a stock DRZ pull a hole shot once.