Sign in to follow this  

re-valve for MX, PDS, who is the best?

I need to have my suspension re-valved.

It currently is set up for a heavy rider,The Previous owner had it re-valved and re-sprung and MX tech valves were put in.

I am 165# so I will need to have it set back for my weight and will be using the stock springs. I will be using it for MX, and don't ride trails.

I have heard that with the PDS suspension it can be made really good or end up really bad. I want mine really good...and would like some suggestions of who has a good handle of these, does good work and stands behind it.

I know that some shops are known for good setups in the off road world, but I need to know who has the best reputation for MX. the bike is a 2009 250SX

Do you have the stock parts that MX Tech likely replaced? They are known to replace the shock needle as well. If not, it could be expensive to have someone else valve it as they may want to deal with stock parts.

MX Tech is pretty hard to beat on KTM suspension, they may even give you a break on having it set up for you since they did the original work.

If you have a good local guy, that's always a good option.

mx-tech giving someone a break is unheard of, if they dont get over a grand out of you they wont do it for a pds system. seriously

Sorry for not being clear, MX tech did not do the work. It was done by another shop who uses the MX tech valves and stuff.

I believe that I have all the stock valves in a bag, I wil have to check.

I am considering sending it to the shop that did the work, I am just scared after reading a bunch of info that says lots of folks mess the PDS up and then it has to get done again.

Maybe this is all just internet BS though and I have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Revelyell

What's wrong with the MX-Tech valving, I've heard it's pretty solid stuff. You really may only need to respring for your weight...

give it up ruffrider, ive had great expiernce with mx-tech, ruffrider u get what u pay for! did u get yours done by him or u couldnt afford to , n r judging it that way?ive read a million post by u complaining about price

mxboy, I am not throwing stones, but thinking you have to spend $1K to get great susp is silly. who is really getting fooled??? I can't comment on MX Tech, but my bike had the $1K + FC valving in it when I bought it. I sprung and rode it. Nothing better than the suspensions I have had done by my local tuner, FTI Racing....at half the cost or less.

You don't always get what you pay for, sometimes you get screwed...

Edited by gmoss

gmoss i agree that 1k is alot by all means.. ive had work done by every name in the industry, exhausted local tuners the best ive had with my ktm is f/c , n mx-tech..jeremy is a wizard, f/c was excellent cause of the personalzation, u get n the nesc area... i had a 40% dis at f/c n payed full price for my mx-tech set up springs front, rear, revale, i pais ard $800. i had to c if it was (mx-tech) was really that good, n yes it is..

I've never been happy with the PDS, mostly because when the track conditions change, it can really throw you for a loop if its not setup perfect. I've tried a great deal of tuners from local suspension guys, KTM factory guys and recently Factory Connection. I'm MORE happy with the FC stuff then I've ever been before, but even then, I think its hard to say the PDS system is anything else but troublesome. One "key" to the PDS system that I've discovered is what spring you use makes a dramatic effect, much more so then on a linked bike. So running a progressive spring vs linear spring, plus what rate the sprig is, can make a huge difference in the feeling. I've run a WIDE range of springs from 5.2 - 6.3 and even higher, both progressive and linear. I still feel the linear spring was the best and I'm still kinda pissed off that FC moved me to a progressive spring, its very annoying, but they modify the piss out of the shock and supposedly it removes some of the progressiveness so they compensate through the progressive spring.

I've been very happy with FC and their support. I would use them again in a heartbeat, not only are they local to me, but they also understand WP stuff like nobody else locally does. Plus, they use the stock valves, which means, everything they tune, is tunable by other WP tuners as well, so you don't have to worry about aftermarket 3rd party crap that can only be fixed by one guy.

MX must be a different beast, as you can ride the same spot over and over and feel differences or really tell differences between bikes, susp setups, etc. I imagine you can really tune in to what is not working right in a particular situation.

I ride offroad, and tuning a susp to work in my environment is a challenge for tuners and the ones that can get it right are successful. I am very thankful to have such a great susp expert in FTI so close to me. They do some great work for our beat up, rocky, rooty, any and everything terrain.

I agree, rear spring rate, sag, etc. is essential on the PDS bikes. I went thru 4 springs on my 05 before finding the best fit. But, what I have found since is that just because a spring is stamped one thing, doesn't mean it is that rate.

MX must be a different beast, as you can ride the same spot over and over and feel differences or really tell differences between bikes, susp setups, etc. I imagine you can really tune in to what is not working right in a particular situation.

Exactly, which means it gets annoying real quick!!! On trail riding, you might hit that one kind of bump that gives you a kicker or doesn't feel right, but thats about it. You can't really "tune" for off-road riding in the same way you can for motocross. Thats why you don't really hear too many complaints about PDS in the off-road world, but motocrosser's suffer greatly with the PDS system. MXA had a great article not that long ago about the PDS vs the linked system and said that most people couldn't feel the difference ONCE the bike was setup properly. But out of the box, the PDS vs linked was night and day, the linked was substantially better. It also depends on how you ride, if your aggressive and can ignore the issues, or are very hypersensitive to suspension. I'm very sensitive to tires and suspension, so they bother me more then most people.

Ive had the pds working well on lots of ktms from 2000 all the way to 2010. The 2010 was by far the best of pds suspension ktm had then they went to the linkage. I had an 11 450sxf and 11 350sxf. I could tell the difference between the link and pds but both work well when set up. Ya the link is better out of the box but its not better in stock form compared to a pds that is set up correctly. Ive ran so many different suspension set ups from A kit and B kit (diamond kit) to shimming with all kinds of different companies. In my opinion factory connection has them both (pds & linkage) dialed in good. I like the progressive springs on pds it felt more planted and hooked up better than straight rate springs. A lot has to do with your style also and having the bike balanced right.. I rode indoors with pds with g out faces and sharp whoops and it worked fine and on mx tracks had no complaints with the progressive springs. You can probably find used progressive and straight rate springs on some of these ktm sites or ebay.. I ran both and tested on tracks all over CA and preferred the progressive spring better. I have factory connection suspension on my 12' 300sx and its dialed to perfection. I cant see anything being better (for me). Zac at factory connection knows the ktm's better than anyone, he comes up with the specs and have the west coast shop do the work. Id at least give them a call and see what they have to say. Billy down there in the Corona shop is on top of things and they are very professional to deal with. I know a lot of other shops that can tune pds or linkage bikes very well but FC has a different feel that I seem to like. There known for a plush progressive feel but I like my suspension very stiff and they nailed it. I definitely would try both springs and see what you like. I know some friends that have ran the Langston racing "super" progressive springs with stock valving and liked it also. Its a cheap way to get a decent feeling.