Sign in to follow this  

2007 RM 85 Power Valve

I just did my sons 2006 when I did the top end. It wasn't that bad so I simply popped off the cover and cleaned the gunk out with carb cleaner and then WD-40. Some of the carbon took a little rubbing with scotch brite. Just follow the manual!

If you have not done this before, I would first suggest you give yourself enough time to take it completely apart, clean, and assemble in the same day. My experience is they only want to go back together one way and some parts may be marked L or R.They are easy after that.

Second, Look at the break down and assembly pictures in the manual closely. ( I have been known to shake a part out onto the ground that I thought was a solid casting). I lay an old cloth or plug the drain the first time I take apart a model I am not familure with these days.

Buy 2 or 3 cans of the cheapest auto zone brand carb cleaner.It works great.

For stubborn carbon use the fine brown color 3M scotchbrite with the cleaner. Look in the same store.

As a footnote: I use the same 3M with oven cleaner on the cylinder to deglaze it when doing a re-ring while things are apart.

Do not let it set more than 20 min. (will start to react with Aluminum). 10 min works for me. I follow the orig. crosshatch when making swipes. I picked up this tip from this site.