Sign in to follow this  

12' KX450's- bad cranks?

I'm sure everyone's seen the youtube of the KX450 rod going thru the cases. I thought it was a fluke, or a mdified engine, but two local riders experienced the same thing...

Anyone have any feedback or news on this??

I do not own a 2012 but I have done research and talked to mechanics about them..I have heard that kawi went to a lighter crank and it has been causing some issues..the mechanics I have talked to said they have already had many 12s in with crank issues and having to replace bearings..hopefully kawi will fix this in the near future

This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

If you're referring to this vid, description says the piston is at fault, not the crank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ELZoSLFhw

Either way I'm happy with my '12, and if it does ever rattles like that, I don't think I'll be practicing starts.

BTW his crank OR piston don't look like an issue here :smirk:

Edited by T-Dub512

I'm sure everyone's seen the youtube of the KX450 rod going thru the cases. I thought it was a fluke, or a mdified engine, but two local riders experienced the same thing...

Anyone have any feedback or news on this??

I personally haven't heard of any 2012 grenading( lower crank bearing -hope you hear it first or else your whole motor is toast)I know of a 2011 that threw the main bearing twice so unless they fixed something on the 2012 it's something to pay close attention to for sure.were those local riders bikes 2012s your referencing ?

I personally haven't heard of any 2012 grenading( lower crank bearing -hope you hear it first or else your whole motor is toast)I know of a 2011 that threw the main bearing twice so unless they fixed something on the 2012 it's something to pay close attention to for sure.were those local riders bikes 2012s your referencing ?

i wish i could hear about this first hand from somebody ,on thumper talk or in person, that this happen to..not just "i heard of some local riders crankshaft bearings breaking" Edited by jimjim180

i wish i could hear about this first hand from somebody ,on thumper talk or in person, that this happen to..not just "i heard of some local riders crankshaft bearings breaking"

Yea for all we no the local could be a pro with 50 hrs on bike.in the case of the 2011 I had spoke to riders mechanic.

Edited by 275-450

Yes, specifically the 12'..I know for a fact one of the ones here is low hrs (10-ish), but other than that, don't know the details. I, too would like to hear from people that this happened to jimjim... hence the thread :smirk:

Before I drop $8-9K, I'd simply like to investigate this as much as I can.

I live in Augusta area, and local fast rider here, had a knock, replaced all the bearings, went out to local track, and locked over biggest step-up, any way they tried to say oil filter was in backwards, his bike has been repaired and resold with 10 hours on it, his damage was shattered hip to a point that his femur had to removed to repair and min1 year recovery. may stick with 11 awhile longer.

I live in Augusta area, and local fast rider here, had a knock, replaced all the bearings, went out to local track, and locked over biggest step-up, any way they tried to say oil filter was in backwards, his bike has been repaired and resold with 10 hours on it, his damage was shattered hip to a point that his femur had to removed to repair and min1 year recovery. may stick with 11 awhile longer.

Does the year matter if the oil filter is in backwards?

I wouldn't think so, I think it is a blame game, (one shop did bearings/dealer did rebuild) my question was why all bearings needed replaced with 10 hrs on bike

its "basically" the same motor since 06 so i doubt theres a large problem.

I have over 20 hours on my 12 now and no problems or weird sounds.

If you look at http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=518&scid=0

You can see whats new and revised on the 12 the crank seems to be the same as earlier models. fuel injection and head is the same aswell so they are most likely just as good as the previous years.

Edited by Nystrom

There are horror stories every year I buy a new bike. It was the same in 07 and 09. The valves were floating, pistons grenading, rods tossed left and right, frames broken in half and the clutches slipped from the beginning. But somehow neither me or my riding buddies saw anything like that, and we never even heard of it by hearsay.

I´m not saying there can´t be a problem, but I have a feeling this bike will be as reliable as all my other Kawi´s.

Edited by D-K

Every bike/brand sold is 'got major defects that the factory better deal with soon'.

....and, every bike/brand sold 'has worked great for me for years, and I ride it hard all the time'.

It's a race bike that is built and shipped before having a year of PRODUCTION testing on it. It's the way it is.

Just be happy you don't have a 2008-2011 KTM. Highest failure rate per unit since the 2002 Honda CRF450R, but still not as bad as the Cannondale........

Okay, definitely late to the party here (over a year). Not a regular on TT, but definitely no newb to MX or mechanics. I'll try to sum this up briefly - feel free to chime in if anyone on here has had similar issues.

2012 KX450 - noticed a little engine noise one day at Club MX, thought maybe just a little paranoid but decided to put a new piston in it anyway. It had 38.5 hours on the meter, so I figured it was about time for the first piston anyway. Tore it down, found scores in the front side of the cylinder and marks from some kind of debris in the front skirt of the piston that had obviously caused the damage. I was irritated, but figured I must have let dirt get in the intake sometime during air filter change.

I decided the cylinder wasn't bad enough to need boring or plating, so I just ran a couple passes through it with a hone and installed a Vertex hi-comp piston. Sounded fine, ran fine the first weekend.

Next weekend - 41.5 hours on the meter - pulled off the track and heard a whirring, almost grinding noise from the left side. I loaded up and went home, kicking myself for cutting corners by honing the cylinder instead of replacing or at least having it replated.

Rebuilt the top end for the second time, this time using a brand new OEM piston and cylinder - problem solved, right? Start it up in my garage - fires right up, sounds great. About 10-20 seconds later, it starts the same whirring/grinding noise again. SON OF A ....! Looks like I'm going into the bottom end.

Pull the engine, remove side covers - nothing out of the ordinary (except the tiny tiny head of what looks like a little torx screw stuck to the flywheel). If you've been inside the cases of a Kawi, you're going to say it's from a bearing keeper - it's not. First, they are all intact. Second, this thing is smaller than the eraser on a pencil.

Split the cases, and the only damage I can see is some marks in the high spots on the oil pump and a very slight rough spot on the left side crank bearing. Nothing that jumps out at me and says, "HERE'S THE PROBLEM" except that little spot in the bearing.

Needless to say, I'm replacing the oil pump and both crank bearings, but does anyone have any other ideas? I swear, if I put this thing back together for the third time and it still makes that noise, my next strategy is going to involve some TNT...

• Like 1

Okay, definitely late to the party here (over a year). Not a regular on TT, but definitely no newb to MX or mechanics. I'll try to sum this up briefly - feel free to chime in if anyone on here has had similar issues.

2012 KX450 - noticed a little engine noise one day at Club MX, thought maybe just a little paranoid but decided to put a new piston in it anyway. It had 38.5 hours on the meter, so I figured it was about time for the first piston anyway. Tore it down, found scores in the front side of the cylinder and marks from some kind of debris in the front skirt of the piston that had obviously caused the damage. I was irritated, but figured I must have let dirt get in the intake sometime during air filter change.

I decided the cylinder wasn't bad enough to need boring or plating, so I just ran a couple passes through it with a hone and installed a Vertex hi-comp piston. Sounded fine, ran fine the first weekend.

Next weekend - 41.5 hours on the meter - pulled off the track and heard a whirring, almost grinding noise from the left side. I loaded up and went home, kicking myself for cutting corners by honing the cylinder instead of replacing or at least having it replated.

Rebuilt the top end for the second time, this time using a brand new OEM piston and cylinder - problem solved, right? Start it up in my garage - fires right up, sounds great. About 10-20 seconds later, it starts the same whirring/grinding noise again. SON OF A ....! Looks like I'm going into the bottom end.

Pull the engine, remove side covers - nothing out of the ordinary (except the tiny tiny head of what looks like a little torx screw stuck to the flywheel). If you've been inside the cases of a Kawi, you're going to say it's from a bearing keeper - it's not. First, they are all intact. Second, this thing is smaller than the eraser on a pencil.

Split the cases, and the only damage I can see is some marks in the high spots on the oil pump and a very slight rough spot on the left side crank bearing. Nothing that jumps out at me and says, "HERE'S THE PROBLEM" except that little spot in the bearing.

Needless to say, I'm replacing the oil pump and both crank bearings, but does anyone have any other ideas? I swear, if I put this thing back together for the third time and it still makes that noise, my next strategy is going to involve some TNT...

Im going thru the same thing right now. i have another thread going with some viedos in it. if it sounds like what mine sounds like then stay tuned. im waiting for a new cylinder head now (unrelated issue, i screwed it up ) but i tore mine down, replaced the piston, no scratches in my skirt or damage visable at all. all im doing is replacing the top end and timing chain. if i still hear the sound im going to replace the main bearings.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1007053-my-bike-sounds-like-a-tractor/

Edited by ryanthesailorman

For some reason Kawasaki does not copper coat their rod prior to carburization. Instead they carburize the whole rod then induction temper the beam afterwards with electric current. This is a very tricky process and I personally don't think it works well. No other high performance rod manufactured by the other big four is done this way. If you look at the rod beam you can see the heat rings created by the coil.

I should point out that Hot Rods copper plates their rods prior to carburization but then removes the copper later. So even though you won't see copper on a Hot Rods(however, their new USA made rods retain the copper) they use the same "correct" technique used by the other manufactures.