Sign in to follow this  

High altitude help

Im new to Denver area, been riding the local mx tracks. Jetting is dialed in, good color on spark plug, no bog anywhere. No engine mods and have stock gearing 13/48. 06 crf450r. Im really missing the low/mid range hit it had at sea level. I know these bikes suffer power loss at altitude, but whats everyone doing out here. Im thinking go up about 2 teeth in the rear and possibly and exhaust down the road. Does anybody know any quick cheap solutions?

maybe advance the timing a bit. idk what you have access to but if you could mill the head or shave the block a little to gain some compression it might help too

A bump in compression would certainly help. It is usually done with a piston as opposed to shaving anything off. Your 06 is probably ready for a top-end anyway. Between a compression bump, a fresh topend, and going through the head, you will restore performance, probably similar to what your tired 06 did at sea level.

What is your jetting?

A 50 tooth rear sprocket will feel snappier, because it is, but a 48 will give you faster lap times on an mx track.

Altitude is a power killer.

im sure my top end is tired like u guys are saying, i bought it new late in 07 so its got hours, appreciate your thoughts

Easiest thing to do is play with you pilot jet and needle position. Main jet should be 158-162 depending in temps. Go a size down on the pilot to start. I'm at 6000 feet and went down a pilot size and to a 162 for winter riding. Needle is dependant on your mods. A high comp piston will help but it is more involved than jetting, stock is 12.5 and a 13 or 13.5 will work on pump gas at elevation. Not too far off though if you know how to work on your bike. Rember you lose 3% of a hp for every 1000 feet you got up in elevation.