Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal 2t in WA state?

I recently purchased a 2011 ktm 200 xcw and am very interested in making it street legal, not to ride on highways but to ride service and logging roads since our ORV parks are probably going to dwindle away in the future here in WA. I am confused with the new law they have passed and am not sure if a 2t can even qualify for the new "plates for off road motorcycles" law that recently passed (Although I haven't seen anything say it can't). Say it is possible does anyone know a good place to buy some dual sport equipment that isnt too obnoxious but still legal? I am sure my bike is wired for a headlight and am almost certain there is a empty plug under the seat for a taillight.

I recently purchased a 2011 ktm 200 xcw and am very interested in making it street legal, not to ride on highways but to ride service and logging roads since our ORV parks are probably going to dwindle away in the future here in WA. I am confused with the new law they have passed and am not sure if a 2t can even qualify for the new "plates for off road motorcycles" law that recently passed (Although I haven't seen anything say it can't). Say it is possible does anyone know a good place to buy some dual sport equipment that isnt too obnoxious but still legal? I am sure my bike is wired for a headlight and am almost certain there is a empty plug under the seat for a taillight.

You can get it plated. Go to the DOL web site and look up the form. Familiarize your self withe RCW's listed on the site ( http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/offroadmotorcycles.html ).

I mounted a "Tusk DS lighting kit" from Rockymountainatvmc.com. The kit is all in clusive minus a head light. The turnsignal and brake light lenses do not have DOT on them but depending ont he shop inspects your bike you go to it doesn't matter. The Baja Designs kit is $200 more but does have DOT on the lenses. I Put a polisport Halo H4 head light on my bike, says DOT on the lens, nice light and it is adjustable. The other threads are large and full of speculation. The 5800 thread is 50 pages long and is now focused on bikes that had plates prior to 5800 being passed.

Just meet everything on the DOL web page above and you'll be fine.

Yeah I dug around through the threads but was having a hardtime finding a definitive answer on 2t's. I just want to get it plated and probably take everything off unless I need the plate for a particular circumstance. I will check out the tusk lighting kit since I am sort of on a budget and dont want to get too carried away.

Yeah I dug around through the threads but was having a hardtime finding a definitive answer on 2t's. I just want to get it plated and probably take everything off unless I need the plate for a particular circumstance. I will check out the tusk lighting kit since I am sort of on a budget and dont want to get too carried away.

as of now it doesn't matter 2t or 4t just comply with the rcw's and get the inspection done. some of us have various euro brand plated 2t's and have had no problems so far. california is the only state i know of that has a specific ban on them being plated.

If you want to run the plate you need the equipment installed -no matter where you ride except on a closed course.

The original KTM witch hunt over plates was caused by so many KTM owners running plates on the rear but none of the required equipment that prompted inquiries by the LEO's into the legality with DOL. DOL saw the liability and pulled all the plates.... it will happen again if people try to skirt the required equipment after the inspection process. WSP is just waiting in the wings to pull the "I told you so" bull cr** with DOL and the politicians.

I'd like to ask those in-the-know about the issue of dual registration and when exactly street legal equipment needs to be on the bike. It seems to be my understanding that if you convert an offroad MC to street legal, you are required to retain the ORV sticker in addition to the license plate. But maybe this isn't exactly correct?

If so, why can't a person - for example - ride an enduro or an ORP event (on DNR land or not) without the street stuff (but still ORV legal with ORV stickers), then put all the street stuff on only when it may be needed to ride on the road - say, a trail ride down at Gifford Pinchot?

I'd like to ask those in-the-know about the issue of dual registration and when exactly street legal equipment needs to be on the bike. It seems to be my understanding that if you convert an offroad MC to street legal, you are required to retain the ORV sticker in addition to the license plate. But maybe this isn't exactly correct?

If so, why can't a person - for example - ride an enduro or an ORP event (on DNR land or not) without the street stuff (but still ORV legal with ORV stickers), then put all the street stuff on only when it may be needed to ride on the road - say, a trail ride down at Gifford Pinchot?

SB5800 requires dual registration at least for the first year. After that ?

For events -understand your view.

Simple guidelines:

Displaying the plate -have the equipment required.

Plate removed (not displayed) -strip it down

billb....here is one vendor that can provide a lighting kit for KTM. Depending on the combination of parts needed it may be less than the baja designs kit (their kits seem to range from $199 to $499 depending on the equipment needed and the bike it is going on). You may want to call them to discuss directly. I have found them to be very helpful on the phone as well

http://sicassracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_20&sort=2a&page=1

several pages of lighting kits for KTMs.. some with directional signals some without (I have seen the ongoing debate about that in some of the Washington threads).

I used one of their lighting kits for making my '10 Husaberg FE450 street legal here in Colorado. And a horn kit to get my '06 KDX200 legal. Our CO requirements are easier than what I just read for Washington. The mudflap requirement is the most ridiculous one and there doesnt appear to any off the shelf products (at least not yet) to fill that need.

Good luck to you and all the Washington riders. Dontcha just love it when government (by the people and for the people - yeah right) attempts to put so many flaming hoops in the path just to keep you from pursuing your activity?

One good thing about dual registration is with the ORV sticker you are exempt from the discovery pass, Not only is it cheaper but more of the funds (are supposed to) go back into the ORV parks.

If you want to run the plate you need the equipment installed -no matter where you ride except on a closed course. The original KTM witch hunt over plates was caused by so many KTM owners running plates on the rear but none of the required equipment that prompted inquiries by the LEO's into the legality with DOL. DOL saw the liability and pulled all the plates.... it will happen again if people try to skirt the required equipment after the inspection process. WSP is just waiting in the wings to pull the "I told you so" bull cr** with DOL and the politicians.

So if I am understanding this correctly I would have to leave the "street accesories" on the bike even if I was riding in an ORV (DNR) area, where as before I wouldnt? If thats what I gotta do i guess ill have to go with it but i can forsee alot of broken turn signals and whatnot if that is the case.

Personally I think this is WA states way to put the axe to the ORV areas, since in theory they really wont be needed anymore if any bike can be made street legal. Just a thought.....

You can get it plated. Go to the DOL web site and look up the form. Just meet everything on the DOL web page above and you'll be fine.

The DoL website is only a summary and not the legal requirement list.

That can be found in RCW46.61.705.

From there, it references the following RCW:

RCW46.37.200

RCW46.37.220

RCW46.37.351

RCW46.37.420

RCW46.37.425

RCW46.37.522

RCW16.37.523

REC46.37.524

RCW46.37.525

RCW46.37.527

RCW46.37.528

RCW46.37.529

RCW46.37.530

RCW46.37.580

RCW46.37.030(2)

RCW46.37.060

RCW46.37.070

RCW46.61.705(2)(K)

Comply with those and you are good to go.

[

billb....here is one vendor that can provide a lighting kit for KTM. Depending on the combination of parts needed it may be less than the baja designs kit (their kits seem to range from $199 to $499 depending on the equipment needed and the bike it is going on). You may want to call them to discuss directly. I have found them to be very helpful on the phone as well http://sicassracing.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_20&sort=2a&page=1 several pages of lighting kits for KTMs.. some with directional signals some without (I have seen the ongoing debate about that in some of the Washington threads). I used one of their lighting kits for making my '10 Husaberg FE450 street legal here in Colorado. And a horn kit to get my '06 KDX200 legal. Our CO requirements are easier than what I just read for Washington. The mudflap requirement is the most ridiculous one and there doesnt appear to any off the shelf products (at least not yet) to fill that need. Good luck to you and all the Washington riders. Dontcha just love it when government (by the people and for the people - yeah right) attempts to put so many flaming hoops in the path just to keep you from pursuing your activity?

I have been looking into there stuff and they do seem more affordable the enduro engineering or Baja designs. I fear in the future that WA will follow CA's rule about 2t's since they seem to follow in their footsteps with emissions and enviromental laws. If I am not mistaken every vehicle sold that is street legal in WA state (cars and motorcycles) model year 2009 and newer must be CA emissions compliant now.

So if I am understanding this correctly I would have to leave the "street accesories" on the bike even if I was riding in an ORV (DNR) area, where as before I wouldnt? If thats what I gotta do i guess ill have to go with it but i can forsee alot of broken turn signals and whatnot if that is the case.

Nope - street equipment is only required where you need to be street legal.

SB5800 requires dual registration at least for the first year. After that ?

I have not found anything in the law that required keeping the ORV permit current, but will continue to do so on my bikes unless the Legislature rips off the NOVA funds again.

This is what I read on the DOL website.

Title, registration, and license plate

When you’ve completed the process of making your motorcycle street legal:

• The comment “modified for on-road use” will be printed on the title and registration to show that it’s street legal.
  • You’ll need an ORV decal and a motorcycle license plate to ride on public roads. (The law requires modified off-road motorcycles to meet both ORV requirements and requirements for on-road use).

I dont know why we should have to buy both, seems like a racket. But if it keeps me from having to buy another discover pass and the money still goes for ORV areas I guess it's worth it.

This is what I read on the DOL website.

Title, registration, and license plate

When you’ve completed the process of making your motorcycle street legal:

• The comment “modified for on-road use” will be printed on the title and registration to show that it’s street legal.
  • You’ll need an ORV decal and a motorcycle license plate to ride on public roads. (The law requires modified off-road motorcycles to meet both ORV requirements and requirements for on-road use).

I dont know why we should have to buy both, seems like a racket. But if it keeps me from having to buy another discover pass and the money still goes for ORV areas I guess it's worth it.

It only exempts you from the d-pass requirement if where you are at and what you are doing does not require a street plate.

There is nothing in SB5800 that restricts a 2T from getting a plate. As long as you meet all other requirements of SB5800 then you can get your plate.

Well summary as it may be, you comply with all the requirements on the check form you'll get your plate. That's what I did.

And if the dealership/repair facility is signing off the form without finding compliance to the RCW then they are putting their business at risk and giving the Legislature due cause to revoke this new set of laws.