Sign in to follow this  

2005 KTM 525 Exc Gear Shift Lever Keeps Coming Lose

The gear shifter shaft has a conical shape at the end with longitudinal spline/threads where the lever is attached. The lever has the opposite conical pattern so the threads mesh together. The lever is held on by a machine screw and washers that thread down the middle of the shaft vs. the kind that clamps on from the side of the lever (http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/12121-ktm-2005-racing-525-exc-g/assemblies/234258).

Pretty frequently I’m finding that even with Loctite this screw backs itself out and the lever then is lose causing the splines/threads on the lever to get ruined (by design…better to screw up the lever than the shaft). I then have to replace the lever ($$$).

Have you heard of this issue and do you have any tips on how to get the lever and machine screw to stay tightly fastened?

Thanks.

Red locktight works most times. I suggest replacing the 6mm bolt and using a washer big enough to cover the shifter casting diameter. Use of a standard 8.8 hardness bolt is enough.

Check to see if you have a bunch of old Loctite in the bottom of the hole that the screw tightens up against. Use a small drill to remove the old Loctite and then run a tap in the hole to clean out the threads. Clean everything, the hole and the screw, with brake cleaner and then apply red Loctite. Should fix the problem.

If you decide to use red Loctite on this bolt, heat will be required for its removal, otherwise the bolt will break. Torquing the bolt to 10 ft/lbs also helps to keep the shifter snugged up.

Mine does the same, even with red loctite. You can safety wire it. Search for one of my old posts on this topic- someone replied with a picture of one safety wired.

Damn Austrians have to be different, even when different is BAD. Ve Vill not do it like za Japaneese....

do you have the correct KTM washers for this part? I have/had 7 KTMs. The only one that came loose was one that I got used and didnt have the right washers. I use blue and the right washers and all is good. Torque to 7ft lbs for a 6mm diam bolt.