Sign in to follow this  

CS Loctite Fix issues

So my DRZ has been down a few months while I have been busy. I'm getting around to fixes my issues which was a loose CS nut. I followed the FAQ, and went to tighten it using the chain and rear break as a holding tool, when I tighten the CS nut it get stight then loose again before I can tighten it more. The threads look fine. Has anyone had this issue before?

So my DRZ has been down a few months while I have been busy. I'm getting around to fixes my issues which was a loose CS nut. I followed the FAQ, and went to tighten it using the chain and rear break as a holding tool, when I tighten the CS nut it get stight then loose again before I can tighten it more. The threads look fine. Has anyone had this issue before?

Threads on the nut are worn / damaged, or same for the shaft.. But normally it is the counter shaft nut. Not a common thing but happens , new counter shaft nut should fix you up.

When i tested the TQ capability of the shaft and CS nut.. the threads puled out of the nut with no damage to the threads on the shaft.

The threads look okay.

I can order a new washer/nut tomorrow and see. But it's strange. The threads look good.

Well there are ONLY three possibilities if the nut is not taking tq required. .. The threads in the nut are damaged. The threads on the shaft are damaged, or the threads on both are damaged.

Take your pick.

That's what I was thinking. I'll go on the easiest first.

If the CS trheads are gone, can I rethread it? (I know you can for females, what about male?) Or would I have to replace the CS and does it require cracking the case?

That's what I was thinking. I'll go on the easiest first.

If the CS threads are gone, can I rethread it? (I know you can for females, what about male?) Or would I have to replace the CS and does it require cracking the case?

Replacing the countershaft requires splitting the case.

A few have tried to drill, and tap the hollow shaft to use a threaded fastener in the end of the shaft to hold the gear.

More than one XR600 has a welded on counter shaft sprocket.

Chances are very good, a new CS nut and a drop or two of high strength thread locker will be good.

Thanks, that's what I am thinking too. I'll order a new nut and washer for $5 and go from there.

In the FAQ it states do not overdo the loctite as it can get under the spacer, yet each time I put it on it gets on the spacer, but not under. Is that an issue?

Thanks, that's what I am thinking too. I'll order a new nut and washer for $5 and go from there.

In the FAQ it states do not overdo the loctite as it can get under the spacer, yet each time I put it on it gets on the spacer, but not under. Is that an issue?

Under the spacer is not a big deal other then it makes it tougher to remove later.. BUT if it builds up near the seal.. once it hardens it will chew up the seal.

3-4 drops after spacer installer, placed with where the sprocket sits is fine..