Sign in to follow this  

Chain Rust

My bike still has the stock chain and sprockets on it. I went to change the gearing with a +1 tooth front sprocket. When I did, the chain would not sit down into the sprocket totally and the piece of metal which keeps my chain from jumping off was now touching the chain not allowing the wheel to spin. I went to the dealer and asked about it and he said the chain had stretched so it would not sit into the sprocket. I understand that a set of chain and sprockets wear together and should be replaced together as a new chain will be ruined by an old sprocket and vice a versa since they warp over time. So, now I have a new chain and sprocket set with the new gearing I want. I still have some room to stretch my old chain but the chain is rusted. Is the chain rusted because it is a lower quality chain or because I did not lube it enough? Is it dangerous to ride a chain with some oxidation? I don't want to replace the chain with a new Renthal Gold and just find out that chains rust a little anyway. I'd rather get the full use of the stock one I have. I don't think I am really good enough at this point to replace everything just for the gearing.

Edited by Jarrad

Yeah tried that Hagar

im talkin about on your new chain, it won't rust. the old one is likely junk.

Hey, thanks. Yeah when I got the bike (I haven't owned one in 14 years) they said not to use WD40. I finally did and realized it does help and seems necessary. WD40 was a staple to me as a kid. What else should I put on the chain and how often? I know there are several different kinds of lube out there.

Hey, thanks. Yeah when I got the bike (I haven't owned one in 14 years) they said not to use WD40. I finally did and realized it does help and seems necessary. WD40 was a staple to me as a kid. What else should I put on the chain and how often? I know there are several different kinds of lube out there.

wd40 is ALL i use, nothin else, all the lubes i found do nothing but attract dirt and dust that wear the chains out faster.. My opinion, and opinion of about 40% of the riders on this forum.. do a "search" for "chain lube".. you will have reading for DAYS/WEEKS. Massively debated topic,as much or more as "what oil should i use in my motor". (i use nothin but Rotella in my dirt bikes and Rotella or Silkolene pro4 in my roadrace bikes).

SOme of your buddys may say "wd40 is a water displacer" i don't care what they say.. i ride 20 hours a month in the woods and harescramble race for 2 hours at a time on crf450's, i roadrace 8-10 weekends a year on 17,000rpm yamaha r6 bikes.. i quit using "lubes" on chains years ago and am happier for it. Do what you want.. :smirk:

Edited by MELK-MAN