Sign in to follow this  

04/05 KX125 suspension opinions/experiences?

I'm looking at buying an 04/05 KX125 or a 06+ YZ125. I know the YZ is alot more bike but I have a bunch of parts that swap over to the KX's. I read the forks were an issue, so I'm seeing what people have done or what their opinions are on these bikes.

I've never heard of any bad issues. The only thing is the typical 48mm seals. People get seals based on the fork being listed as a 48mm, but actually they require 47.5mm seals. So they leak before you even get them on the bike.

Joey Still, Ryan Sipes' partner at Pro Logics can do wonders with the KX forks. He's our suspension guy.

They basically complain they don't soak up the chop as much as the other bikes. I was curious if it was a specific component that had to be changed/adjusted. http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0412_2005_125cc_two_stroke_compared/index.html

That's my only concern. I'm planning a EG 144 if I don't like the power. But that 96 RM125 I built seriously lacks any bottom, and the top is questionable, still had a blast on it.

my 04 kx was a reall turner and the forks would beat you to death if you were not going fast as hell so if yo want it for the track it is a great bike if it is for woods you may have to do alot f fooling around with the suspension.

My 04 forks work well here in Jersey. They were revalved by WER. I run .39 springs in them. No I dont have a front to back balance issue and it eats up whoops! It valved for woods as I ride/race enduros. My complaint with them is when the series heads up into the rocks of Pa, NY, RI etc. Here they seem to be a bit harsh. I believe its due to the bladder thats used in the 04 forks. Where are you planning on riding this bike, Jersey woods and tracks like your 250? Or are you planning on hitting some rockier terrain. For pure offroad I prefer the 03 forks, no bladder and they soak up the chop well after a revalve. Actually the 03 works a little better overall for offroad. The rear linkage setup is more offroad friendly.

from the digging around that ive done on the forks they are on the harsh side an from what i understand is cause of the bladders.alot of people are disabling or removing the bladders to get the forks to work bettter,breaking bumps seem to be the worse for me with the forks.i find mine to be harsh too,im trying to talk myself into taking them apart to have a look at them an replace spings an seals while im in there.as far as power i find it to have plenty of it,my buddie has an 01 yz125 an i can walk all over it an for the most part i dont like his yz at all.

Kawie

I've an 05 KX125 and re-sprung it, clicked it to my weight and riding abilities, fresh oil every season, no other mods and have zero complaints! Interchangeable parts is always a plus especially on race day. Of coarse i am biased towards any Kawi :smirk: so my opinion is not a fair one.

Where are you planning on riding this bike, Jersey woods and tracks like your 250?

I don't ride as much trails as I used to, it messes up my sense of speed. So I've been sticking to tracks, either professional or the crap out in the pits. I was thinking of selling my 250, but that bike pulls like mad on trails.

So mainly track for the 125.

I read the chassis feels small which is something I think I'd like. I love my 250, but dam! that thing can rip your arms off.

I know this is the KX forum.. :smirk: but I loved the bottom end power on my last couple YZ 125s. Even though they were both 2001s they had more bottom end power than any other 2t bike I have ridden in their class. If I had the choice of a new 125..It would be a newer YZ...

I know this is the KX forum.. :smirk: but I loved the bottom end power on my last couple YZ 125s. Even though they were both 2001s they had more bottom end power than any other 2t bike I have ridden in their class. If I had the choice of a new 125..It would be a newer YZ...

wasn't your last two 125's cr's? not yz's?

Woodz is right, stock for stock the yz's have great lowend, but the pipe on the 03-05's is what kills them. DON'T get a PC. The FMF creates a huge amount of bottom end when jetted to the pipe. The bike does feel very sllim and small compared tot he 250. It feels anorexic. But man, can it be thrown around. My wheels don't leave the ground much anymore but I loved riding his 125. It's a blast. If you get one, it'll make you feel 15 again.

Edited by SAPPERS

first thing I would do to the fork is disable the bladder function (by removing the check valve at the top of the cartridge) and replace the 0.15 shims with 0.1 shims

Edited by kawamaha

first thing I would do to the fork is disable the bladder function (by removing the check valve at the top of the cartridge) and replace the 0.15 shims with 0.1 shims

Thanks for the tip. I just bought a set of 06 KX250 KYB's for next to nothing (couldn't pass them up) so I have back up in case I don't like the 125 forks. Now I just need a bike. :smirk:

Thanks for the tip. I just bought a set of 06 KX250 KYB's for next to nothing (couldn't pass them up) so I have back up in case I don't like the 125 forks. Now I just need a bike. :smirk:

I guess meanwhile you have a lot of experience with 05 and up cc forks ;-)

I guess meanwhile you have a lot of experience with 05 and up cc forks ;-)

No doubt. haha

These forks look to be rebuilt by a reputable company, so I'm curious as to what they did. Hopefully I can get all the info from them...or do alot of measuring.