Sign in to follow this  

front hub bearings

Trying to install a new set of front hub bearings. Service manual shows beating it out through inside with a screwdriver. Being a puss about it because don't want to gouge the inside of the hub. + the screwdriver just glances off with the first tap. Even DB mag shows doing it that a way.

Should I just BEAT IT, BEAT IT (in MJ voice)

Trying to install a new set of front hub bearings. Service manual shows beating it out through inside with a screwdriver. Being a puss about it because don't want to gouge the inside of the hub. + the screwdriver just glances off with the first tap. Even DB mag shows doing it that a way.

Should I just BEAT IT, BEAT IT (in MJ voice)

Add heat! i used a propane torch to heat the hub around the bearing...and pop! out they came. Heat the hub up evenly and pound it out...should not take too much effort at all. Good luck. Don't forget to put the new bearings in the freezer for an hour or two before installation to shrink em up...they'll go in easy-peasy!

• Like 1

NICE!! Dirk your the man. Didn't even think of that. Will give it a shot tonight.

Buy a nice punch from home depot, the bigger round head with not dig into any as easy as a screw driver and more force will be transferred to what you are hitting

• Like 1