Sign in to follow this  

can a 2003 xr400 still be plated in CA?

Looking for a good xr400. Most of the best I see have no plate. Are they still able to plate or was 2004 the cut off? I don't know what the emissions sticker says.

Thanks,

Thought I should post as its own topic.

nope, They can't be plated. Good old Arnie the Governator changed the law in 05 making it so that if a dirt bike didn't come plated from the factory you can't get a plate for it. Thats why plated xr's are so much more expensive then non plated ones.

Only way to do it is if its already registered for the road in another state - even then I think its a bit difficult if its not in your name out of state. I just got my XR plates but I bought my bike in Tx and had lived there w/ it registered in my name for several years. Not sure what luck you'd have buying an out of state bike and trying to transfer the plates.

nope, They can't be plated. Good old Arnie the Governator changed the law in 05 making it so that if a dirt bike didn't come plated from the factory you can't get a plate for it. Thats why plated xr's are so much more expensive then non plated ones.

Not really true. The DMV was never supposed to have been allowing conversions but no one noticed the loophole for almost 30 years. Then someone noticed it. There is plenty to blame Arnold for...just not this.

Sorry to say my xr300-440-wr450-have Ca plates.They can be plated but you will have to find out how.Oh I forgot my riding buddys xr650-xr200- 450x,cr500 thats right 2 stroke,Ktm525 all ca plates.

my understanding that they can t be done anymore... legally, NO.... but last month i talked to and saw a ktm that a bloke got plated recently.... he rolled the dice and tried multiple DMVs... on his 5th attempt and different offices he scored the jackpot...

Legally no! No bike can be converted green to tags after 03.

I will tell you what is needed and you can read between the lines.

Vin verification (mileage will be noted) <- there is a min required. (there is a sticker on all bikes that reads "... For off-roaed use..." OR "...meets requirements for Us and Ca..." i choose to support your local mom and pops shop not the DMV

Brake and light inspection (look for a Harley shop that does this) <-they are use to doing customs

pay your fee

The big issue is CARB. They're the ones that noticed the loophole in 2000 and threatened the DMV if they didn't stop issuing plates for OHV's. Originally they tried to yank the plates of any converted OHV but later settled w/ the DMV to grandfather anything purchased prior to Dec 31, 2003 and registered for road-use prior to Jan 31, 2004. The only loophole that reliably still works (verses going from DMV to DMV hoping to get lucky) is the out of state transfer I mentioned previously. The big hangup is going to be the Compliance with Federal Standards sticker. Technically you might be able to find some old street legal junkyard bike and manage to remove the sticker, place it on your bike, and fool the DMV guy. Fair warning though, I've read that CARB is still monitoring known OHV models and has been known to yank plates from people that managed to find a "good" DMV.

-This is according to CARB Enforcement Advisory Number 319 if you'd like to read it yourself

All this effort from a bankrupt state, doing everything they can to not collect revenue from law-abiding folks looking to save a few bucks/space and enjoy public lands with family and friends. what a cluster ----.

I actually emailed CARB and my district rep about this issue. Didn't hear anything back obviously since I'm just 1 random complaint about something most people don't care about.

Wallrat has it right. We had a nice deal being able to plate green sticker bikes. Part of the problem was red sticker bikes were getting green stickers by accident. Being greedy, some people were plating those red sticker bikes. CARB, the DMV, and the CHP all had a part in regulating, registering, and enforcing laws; but didn't communicate well. There was a meeting with all parties and the CHP brought up ticketing MX bikes on the street. When CARB found out, they went ballistic. Before that event, there was an inflow of grey market MX bikes from Canada that were getting green stickers. Twice burned the Empire (CARB) Strikes Back.

The DMV use to have a form on their website. It is long gone. I regret not plating my XR200R.

Several years ago, I purchased a 1973 SL100. The DMV inspector wrote down "NO FEDERAL EMISSIONS STICKER" in big inch high letters. Since the bike is a 1973, it flew threw the check at Sacramento. Bikes older than 1977 (?) don't have emissions stickers.

All of this is good info,but done right .You wont have any problems.As my xrs have been plated for years and my new bikes are plated.If you cant beat um,join um!Also yes this State is broke but worries about plates on dirt bikes,and closing all riding areas.