Sign in to follow this  

Straight gas in a can that was used to hold pre-mix?

This might be a stupid question, but I had no luck searching the web. If making the switch from a smoker to a thumper, am I risking any problems by putting straight gas in the can that I used to use for pre-mixed fuel?

My gut tells me there won't be enough oil residue left in there to be a problem but would rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe I should slosh a gallon of gas around in there and dump it in the truck first?

yeah i dont think it will hurt any thing. if you are too concerned you can rinse it out like you said. but i wouldnt bother

NNNOOOO!!!! Don't do it!!! The can is fine, but don't swap to a four stroke!lol j/k man

No worries I have both, use the same can all the time, even poured mixed gas in my 450f just don't go the other way and pour straight in you 2 stroke.

• Like 2

This might be a stupid question, but I had no luck searching the web. If making the switch from a smoker to a thumper, am I risking any problems by putting straight gas in the can that I used to use for pre-mixed fuel?

My gut tells me there won't be enough oil residue left in there to be a problem but would rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe I should slosh a gallon of gas around in there and dump it in the truck first?

don't bother, it will be fine. we switch between 2 smoke and 4 smoke all the time. I even take my leftover 2 stroke stuff and dump it into my truck for the ride home, no issues!

I would not recomend using 2 st gas in anything that has catylytic convertors, The oil in the mix will eventually damage the catalyst.

On a 4st dirt bike there are no CC's so there will be no harm.

I would not recomend using 2 st gas in anything that has catylytic convertors, The oil in the mix will eventually damage the catalyst.

On a 4st dirt bike there are no CC's so there will be no harm.

Jake,

this happens maybe once a month, I've been doing this for 20 years now - never had a cat converter fail - so i guess i need to amp up the oil!

do the math, so 2 gallons of 50 to 1 mix, thats uh - 32 x 4 = 128 oz / gal. so 128/50 = about 2.5 oz per gallon. so you end up putting 5 oz of 2 stroke oil into say 10 gallons of fuel. So 128 X 10 - 1280 oz, correct so 5 oz /1280 = , just about 250 : 1 on the mix ratio. once a month or so, coupled with the fact that I drive about 2K miles a month, Not gunna hurt anything!

Edited by carl johansson

You can always just strike a match in the empty can and let all of the premix burn itself out. :bonk::smirk:

no problems with doing that, you can run mixed gas in your thumper if you really wanted too, you would just foul plugs, but a little residual oil isnt going to hurt anything

Don't worry about it. The amount of oil is insignificant. Even if it wasn't, your 4-s wouldn't care about the oil. I dump mix into my 4-s engines all the time. AAMOF, right now my Honda 450 Foreman and my Snapper LT16 lawn tractor (in different locations) are both running on 100% 25:1 premix. For the ATV, it was out of gas, mix was all I had in the garage and I had to plow, so in the tank it went. My tractor was full of gas, I needed some chainsaw mix, and I didn't have a container to mix it in - so, dumped the 2-s oil right in the tank then drained it into the saw. Interestingly, even with 25:1 mix, neither of them smoke while running.

JayC

Edited by jayc250x