Sign in to follow this  

10w40 or 10w50

Hi! I have a KTM 450 sxf 2011, and the users manual says to use 10w50, but I have 5 litres of "Silkolene PRO 4 PLUS RANGE 10W40",is a high tech fully synthetic oil and it has every kind of specifications: JASO MA & MA2,CCMC G5,API SG, SH & SJ. But it´s 10w40. Where I live, the temperature now is from 3ºC to 23ºC and I use the bike only for motocross, not supermoto or something like that. When summer arrives and temperatures reches easily 40-45ºC, should I use a 10W60 oil or a 10W50 is enough?

Thanks for your answers guys!!

First off you need to do some research on SAE oil viscosity classifications.

Next is research on High Temperature High Shear (HTHS).

Both are avaialable doing a Google search.

There is a big gap in HTHS viscosity between 10W-40 ois and 15W-40 oils.

All of the oils you posted have"data sheets" listing viscosity data,

Synthetic oils usually have a better HTHS viscosity than the SAE viscosity class indicates, just gotta check the data sheet.

As a group 15W-40 oils are better than almost all oils for hightemp engine protextion.

To answer your question, yes the 10w-40w will be fine. Many people put too much thought into what oil should be in these bikes. The main thing is... change it often! My theory is, clean, fresh, cheap oil is better than dirty, old, expensive oil.

Folks, may I put another ingredient to this discussion :bonk:

I cannot find the difference between 4-stoke oils =>

MOTUL 5000, viscosity 10w40 and MOTUL 5100, viscosity 15w50 .. beyond the obvious difference in viscosity

both seem to be synthetic-based

Any comment is highly appreciated

Many many tks

cp

from Brazil [during Carnival]

The oil debate is an interesting topic. Everyone has a favorate, yet nobody has ever experienced a failure related to oil. :bonk:

What I never hear anyone discuss is suspension oils. It's interesting to see the wide range in viscosities from cold to operating temperatures and VI ratings. Even more interesting is the weight you see on the bottle has absolutely zero merit as to what's in it.

PVD-ISO-Viscosity-Data.gif

Edited by rickk