Sign in to follow this  

What bike would you recommend we buy?

Hey guys. When my husband and I got married, I got him into riding. We bought a little CRF150R for me, and he has been "borrowing" my dad's '05 YZ450F which has worked out well as of yet. But I feel we are starting to take advantage of that situation as my dad (poor guy) never wants to ride for fear of inconveniencing US! So that's not cool, and it's time for Alex to get his own bike.

He has only been riding for about a year now, but he's gotten really comfortable. He is used to the 450, but for some reason he wants to get a 250 instead. We want to buy new.

He's 6'2 and weighs 225. Willing to spend about 8k. We mostly ride in Hungry Valley, CA so mainly trails and track. We will probably rarely if ever take it to the dunes. We want something that handles well, won't be too cramped for him since he's tall, and something that will be reliable/easy to maintain.

I'm leaning towards RMZ250 or CRF250R. What do you guys think?

I'll also be riding it, but it's mainly for him. I'm 5'6 and weigh 125. (I got the little bike because I broke my back a few years ago and was getting back into riding and wanted to take it slowly. But I shared my dad's 450 and 250 2-stroke with him before the accident.)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :smirk:

I’ve logged many a mile in Hungry Valley. Do you and your husband ride the trails in Los Padres NF? Just wondering if you rode the NF trails any and if you would be interested in a trail bike?

Why not go for a 250 2 stroke? It will have the power of the YZ450F that he is already used to and the lighter weight and handling of the 250 he is wanting.

Given your budget and that you will be riding trails with some track time, why not look at:

KTM300 XCW

KTM250 XCW

Husaberg TE300

Husaberg TE250

GasGas 300

GasGas 250

Husky WR300

Husky WR250

disclaimer: I really dont know or understand the whole red sticker/green sticker thing in California. If that precludes looking at two strokes, have him take a look at the

KTM 500 XCW

Husaberg FE 570

Husaberg FE 450

I bought a '10 Husaberg FE 450 after moving from an '08 YZ450F. While the Husy is heavier (due to battery and some accessories), it doesnt feel any heavier than the YZ450F and the power is smoother and easier to handle on the trail.

The Husaberg 570S can be made street legal in CA and can be ridden year round.

The prior post did hint at what I was getting at with you. Both bikes you mention are red sticker bikes. It is hot in Hungary in summer so maybe you don‘t ride in summer? The two bikes you list could be ridden in late fall and winter. Is that okay?

Either bike you listed is a great bike. Pick one based on the best deal you can get $$$$ wise.

The CRF250X is green sticker. I don’t think Suzuki makes a new green sticker off road bike other than the DR-Z125 and it may be a bit small for you..

Edited by youngztr

Thanks for the feedback guys. We'll keep thinking it over. As for the sticker issue, mine is a red sticker, so I'm confined to the track during the summer anyway. We try to make trips to Oregon in the summer time to ride with my family, where the sticker situation isn't much of an issue. After cruising around and checking out different bikes, I think he's leaning towards the 450s after all. haha. I would be curious to see what he thinks of 2 strokes though. I think they're a blast. I'm pretty sure he likes the idea of being able to just chug along on a "torquey" 450 as opposed to having to shift constantly and feel like the front end is gonna come up on him all the time (which is the opposite of me... bring on the 250Rs!) Or maybe that's just me because I'm so light...? Do other people feel that way on 2 strokes?

Anyway, leaning towards the CRF450R I think.

What part of Oregon do you ride in? We spend a lot of time in the Klamath Falls, Bly, Silver Lake, Chemult area. The FS has its new MVUM out now. It looks like about 80 - 90% of the old trails and roads have been closed. Yuck. The FS is starting up a motorcycle trail system project. Hopefully some of the old trails and roads will be reopened as motorcycle trails!! If you ride in this area, get involved.

The 450R should tear the area and rider up. But like I said above, many roads have been reclassified and you many NOT be able to legally ride an off road sticker bike on them. This will result in a bike with a plate being much more attractive. Check it out before you buy.

It seems to me that a 450 would be better for his size/weight. Of the two bikes you mentioned, I would recommend the Honda because Suzukis aren't as reliable.

Him: check out Husqvarna TE310. You: look at Husky TE250 (I understand the 2012 model has 2inches lower seat height than before!) I understand that both are California street-licensable, light-weight, and are fuel-injected for no jetting hassles (you ever go on rides around Hungry Valley where your elevation goes from about 4000 to over 8000?). I'm assuming you meant you could spend up to $8k per bike. Could you then pretty much ride anywhere anyone "is allowed" to ride all year long?!

I'm just sayin....

Edited by calbikeman2

:smirk: Hmm, call me crazy, but maybe you should buy your dad a new bike. Trade the new one for his old one that your husband has been using for the past year. Just a thought, but it seems fair. :bonk:
  • Like 1

@B Lamb, yeah I hear you. But my dad's bike wasn't operational when he leant it to us. We spent about $2000 getting it rideable, and since sitting in storage isn't great for it and my husband has been riding it pretty easy, my dad is actually pretty happy about the arrangement. Besides, he's been out of riding due to an injury. When he is ready to ride again next month, his bike will be in way better shape than when we got it from him. Plus he's been saving $$ on storage since we are holding onto it for him :smirk:

You may want to look into a 300 2 stroke (either KTM or GasGas). They will lug almost like a 450 but still have the fun of a 250 2 stroke. And are way lighter than a 450. Very smooth power that is easier to ride than your typical 250....just a thought. After personally getting on a GasGas 300 its hard for me not to recommend it...rode many other 2 strokes and 4 strokes, and other than my GasGas the only bike I would consider is a KTM 200/250/300 2 stroke. Wish everyone had the chance to ride one...sure am glad I finally tried one.

Thank you all for the feedback. I like to do research and get people's advice before making decisions, but he just wants what he wants. He picked up the CRF450R yesterday. haha. Oh well. He loves it :smirk: Thanks again!