Sign in to follow this  

klx450r unibiker radiator guards

Does anyone know if you have to do any cutting or drilling in order to install these unibiker radiator guards on a 08klx450r. Also what skid plate for maximum protection would you recomend for this bike.

I bought the black Unabiker rad guards and think they look great. They went on perfectly until I went to mount the tank and the shrouds. I used a Dremel to trim a little bit of backs of the shrouds so they could more easily reach the main mounting bolts. I also used some hard plastic spacers to hold the bottom of the shroud a little ways out further than stock. No issues otherwise and with the supports they give you, they seem very durable. Again, I think the black looks awesome and with the lower shroud being black too. It all flows together.

I have the Flatland skid plate on my shop floor ready to go on after I get done changing the oil. I have 2 of their skidplates on our Hondas and love them. They cradle the frame and engine nicely and extend up around the front too. There are some holes in the front to allow airflow and I put some foam in between the motor and the skidplate to keep out rocks. Their mounting bolts (for the Honda's anyways) are like 6 mm allens and won't easily strip like another skidplate I'd mounted up a few years ago. I can report on fit probably Sunday, but could do a hold-it-up to the bike fit and look at bolts tonight if you'll PM me so I'll remember. Could post a pic of the Unabikers too if desired along with where I trimmed.

Edited by dmac1

I've got Unabikers...they fit without issue, and worth every penny

S4020860.jpg

I've broken both an Acerbis plastic, and a carbon fiber skid plate...back to the tried and true thick aluminum plate. I bought mine from TT stores.

Sorry about the delay...we had a little snow event here in along the front range of Colorado. Snowed from Thurs till about noon today. Spent most of today plowing and shovelling.

My shrouds needed trimming for optimal fit due to the added width of the guard around the radiator. From my experience, needing to do this is normal, but it wasn't mentioned in the instructions. This pic is of the right side shroud (rider's right). You can see where I trimmed a rib of the inside of the shroud.

IMG_0138.jpg

In this one, I trimmed the little edge off the bottom, outside of the shrouds where they contact the Unabikers to help the shroud mounting holes reach around to the lower mounting hole.

IMG_0140.jpg

Here is a pic of the grommets I used to space the shrouds out from the mounting hole. Via this, they aren't bent around so tight. I found that rubber doesn't work because the bolt never gets tight.

IMG_0144.jpg

And heres a couple pics of how cool the black Unabikers look.

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Edited by dmac1

FLAT LAND RACING HAS A BETTER GUARD, ALL ONE PEICE, MADE OUT OF BETTER ALUIM, NO TRIMING NEEDED, FOR ABOUT THE SAME PRICE.

FLAT LAND RACING HAS A BETTER GUARD, ALL ONE PEICE, MADE OUT OF BETTER ALUIM, NO TRIMING NEEDED, FOR ABOUT THE SAME PRICE.

How do you know it is better aluminum? I have a Flatland radiator guard on my Honda and while I like it, it isn't black. We've bent a Flatland guard in the past, but it did its job in that the radiator was fine. I have no problem with Flatland, but we decided to try Unabiker. It seems that the Unabikers are a little more open and should flow more air.

A cool thing about the Unibikers is that you can buy each piece. My bike sometimes finds trees...and I've bent parts. Called Unabiker, and it was in the mail for the cost of the part. I like that.

A cool thing about the Unibikers is that you can buy each piece. My bike sometimes finds trees...and I've bent parts. Called Unabiker, and it was in the mail for the cost of the part. I like that.

Good to know and same experience for me with the Flatlands... we bent one side and I called and they sent me just the one. Hence why I had the extra bushings.