Sign in to follow this  

1990 250 DXC water pump seal questions

Hey guys,

I've got that milky trans fluid, and my coolant level has dropped dramatically and from what i've read its most likely the impeller seal in this bike. I've been told parts have been discontinued by the manufacturer for these old models so i'm wondering if I'm dead in the water here. Now, I've also seen these engine oil seal kits for rebuilds; my question is do these kits include an impellar seal as well? I have no problem spending $30 for one seal and who knows, I may need the rest in the future.

If there is a similar thread somewhere in the archives could you point me towards it?

Much thanks

most your ktm dealers dont know jack sqaut about anything older than 3 or 4 years. even then they dont know much about whats even sitting on their floor most the time. so asking them for any help is a waste of time. call or email this guy. http://www.seven4racing.com/ he forgot more than all the jugheads at ktm dealers combined will ever know. yes that seal might be discontinued from ktm but you can still get the seal from numerous places. im not familiar with your exact year of bike but im thinking it could be a double lip seal. thats what ktm used on some of the bikes back then. wouldnt hurt to get a service and parts manual (lists parts number for every item in the engine) but thats your decision if you want to wing it without the books http://www.repairmanual.com/category/1990-ktm-250dxc/

Pull the seal out and see what numbers are on it.. Or take it to bearing supply house.. Bearings and seals are universal the world over.. A bearing supply will either have one or can get one..

sourcing it from a local seal house is a option, especially if its no longer offered through ktm. just be sure you dont purchase chinese junk and it needs to be compatible with constant coolant and oil emersion. most the time its easier to buy oem simply because youll get top qaulity part thats almost gauranteed to last another 10+ years. not saying you cant get a qaulity long lasting part from a local shop but just be sure of what your buying

thanks harry, that's why I was wondering if these oil seal kits contain a water pump seal as this kit has the only seals I can find for sale on the net for my model and year.

Yes. Something like 24X16X6 for example. If there is no number and there usually is, the bearing place can measure the old seal and cross it to a good number.

Edited by zilla

Bike Bandit may stock the seal, as I believe 90-95 250 models shared the same engine seals, but they also only stock years 94 and up. I bought the seal kit so I'm going to do the countershaft sprocket seal as well since its been weeping. If I end up coming across a better quality product I'll replace it again, I have no problem with that. Should be nice having a non oil stained motor for once...

A good dealer can call KTM parts and they might have a seal that will work just a different part number. There is a gal Carol that knows her stuff. She helped me many times when I was a dealer.

i already gave him a link to a guy that knows more about ktm's than probly all the dealers combined but i guess he cant read. im done trying to help anymore in this thread :smirk: